PEAX Equipment

Yellowstone Lake

What Map

Great day on Yellowstone Lake, June 16 2013

100_0798.jpg

My middle daughter's oldest son helping to BBQ the two lake trout we took from lake.

100_0803.jpg

Yesterday my wife and I tried to ride to the lakes at timberline in the National Forest behind our house. We made it further than we thought we would, but eventually hit snow drifts. It will be 3 or 4 more weeks before we make the top lake.

100_0831.jpg

Great pictures. Did you catch any cutthroats? I worked up there from 2000-2002 and the population of cutthroats seemed to get smaller each year.

Andy

Yesterday my wife and I tried to ride to the lakes at timberline in the National Forest behind our house. We made it further than we thought we would, but eventually hit snow drifts. It will be 3 or 4 more weeks before we make the top lake.
Were those lakes above Hyalite (Emerald, etc)? I'm getting antsy for a hike up Blackmore or something.

And how are the Yellowstone lakers for eating?

Thanks for the responses. We did catch some cuts. We were picking up a few each hour and there seemed to be more action for the people fishing from shore than in the past few years. The four gill net boats have already taken tens of thousands of lakers out this season. It will be an interesting experiment to see how this plays out.

The cuts we caught this year were smaller than the ones from the last few years and we also saw schools of baby trout (cuts?) in the marina.

I usually smoke the lake trout but I cooked these two over charcoal on a Weber with a lid. They really turned out OK. I like fish and so do my grandsons and we ate one of them that night.

We were trying to make it to Emerald Lake and probably could have made it if we wanted to bust our horses through a few long drifts. There were many hikers on the trail and we think most of them made it to Emerald but none of the ones we talked to made it past Emerald. Too much snow to go on, is what they said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back