Year starts out good

Nemont

Today was a COLD. The kind of cold that makes one question their sanity for wanting to go lay in the snow and hunt birds with brains the size of walnuts. The birds thought it was opening day again and we finished with limits of ducks and geese.

Happy New Year

IMG00026.jpg

IMG00027.jpg

Nemont

So that's where MY dang duks are!!! You keeping them up there!!!
I have had my worst season in 20 years!!! Our SE MO lease that ususally produces around 300 birds, produced less than 80 this year, my annual Thanksgiving hunt in SE LA was off by 60% and my annual Christmas hunt to SE LA was off by 65%.
Oh well, still got til end of month in AR and maybe a three day trip back to LA.
Shoot'em in the lips!!

Good stuff Nemont. This morning, we got invited with a friend who said he could guarantee us some pretty good duck shooting. Well, he wasn't kidding. And, some good goose shooting, also.

All this was in less than two hours. Poor dog needed a break.

If you are tough enough to sit like "a bump on a log." (Really, we just sat on some downed cottonwoods.)
IMG_5013.JPG

This is the result.
IMG_5014.JPG

Going after them again tomorrow morning. Thanks to Pat for inviting us.

Going after them again tomorrow morning. Thanks to Pat for inviting us.

Was it Pat H.? If so where is his ugly mug? :D

I took today off but will be back hunting them tomorrow. It is nice to have a bird or two to target.

I have been making goose jerky every day for the last week and still have more to go today. The smoker doesn't even have time to cool off.

Keep chasing them as soon the season will end.

Nemont

Was it Pat H.? If so where is his ugly mug? :DNemont

Not Pat H. It was Pat G. But Pat H. would have enjoyed the morning very much.

The smoker is going to be going at our house too. Love the mallards, but the geese will usually be jerky.

Yes Pat H would have loved that kind of a morning.

I even plucked all the mallards, which I never do, and they are in a brine right now. Even the kids will eat smoked ducks.

Nemont

I'm jealous. I'm on lock-down with the wife 9 months pregnant. My trip a couple of weeks ago was nixed when I got up to a 5 am alarm and found my wife passing her eighth kidney stone of the last two months. We mutually decided it was best for me to stay home and help with our 2 year-old that morning.

I've already eaten up all my goose from earlier in the season... tis a sad day in smalls house, my smoker cold and dusty...

I killed a couple geese this morning, but nothing like the morning you guys had.

I grind the breast into burger and make hamburger steak with sauted onions. It`s delicious and my wife thinks of hamburger steak every time a flock flys over. Only way to eat the things. Haven`t tried jerkey though, but going to.

Not quite as fast as yesterday. But the good news is, not one duck or goose made it out of the spread. Had to leave by noon, and the birds had started coming back from feed as we were pulling out. After taking this pic, we toasted one more duck and one more goose as we were pulling the rig.

Why is that when you start picking up the dekes, the birds seem to know and decided to come in and get you at the time you are least prepared?

Lots of fun, even if it did make for a chilly morn. Wish I wasn't so busy next weekend.
IMG_5023-1.JPG

Good shooting Big Fin and son. We hunted a huge cornfield today, lots of fun. I will post a seperate thread with a question and pics.

Nemont

Back