Wyoming, we dont want you DIY hunters.....

Apparition

Im coming to that conclusion after more than a month playing around on the their Game and Fish website. I say that because the 2 other states Ive hunted for elk, Montana and Idaho their website and mapping system is awesome, at a click I can see what kind of terrain, land ownership, game range, satellite imagery, harvest rates and on and on, not Wyoming. Im not saying its not somewhere on the site, but darn its really really tough to find :confused:. Ok Im done with my rant.

You can find all that for Wyoming pretty easily too..

I use MyTopo.com to look at terrain and public land in the different units. Google Earth for satellite imagery.

Harvest rates, WIA and HMA on the F&G website.

I haven't found Wyoming's website to be nearly as informative as Colorado, for example, but once you know where to find what it's not too bad.

Well maybe Im just thick :eek: I switch back between acme mapper and earth to get an idea of terrain etc. Just found the harvest stats, but not using the website, used my google fu.

LOL!! Too funny guys.
You can't even get an up to date list on NM's website.....but we have one. Someplace.

Apparition,

Sounds like you expect an elk tied to a tree....

With success rates on general tag elk pushing 50%, many LQ areas much higher, a top access program, HMA coordinators that drive around looking for elk each week for hunters to kill, etc. etc. etc. it still isn't good enough.

Yep, Wyoming just isn't doing enough to welcome DIY hunters....WOW!!!!

I have found the WY Game and Fish website to be quite helpful as a non-resident, especially the draw odds portion. While their aerial/topo mapping may not be as good as other states, I typically don't use Game and Fish mapping as I prefer Google Earth and others.

Again, as a non-resident I believe WY has some of the most professional biologists and wardens around. They have been extremely helpful when talking with them on the phone and they return your calls. If you ask generic questions, expect generic answers. However, if you've done your homework and ask specific questions, you'll most often get specific answers.

On my last trip to Wyoming, a game warden stopped in at camp. I walked up and showed him my license and conservation stamp without him asking and he was quite surprised. He was quite the nice guy. I told him it was my first time in the unit and I have done a little bit of driving around it waiting on Chris and his dad to get there. He then proceeds to pull out a map and spread it out over the hood of his truck. He went over the map with me and pointed out where he's been seeing antelope on a regular basis. We shook hands and he went on his way. The information he gave me was spot on and we all tagged out in 2 days. When I have called game and fish, they have been courteous and helpful and answered even what I thought were the dumbest of questions. I have had nothing but positive experiences hunting and dealing with Wyoming.

At least for me, anytime I start researching a new state I find draw stats, unit designations, etc. pretty confusing. New Mexico and Arizona fall into that category for me currently.

But, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

It is very inconvenient for me to pony up more than $300 to apply for a deer preference point in Colorado, for example, while I can just buy one in Wyoming over the summer and not go through the payment / refund hassle like in Colorado. But, I think that probably limits participation to the most serious guys, which works in my favor in the long run.

You just have to take your time to figure things out for yourself, and come up with your own long-term plan on where/what you want to hunt each year.

Buzz, have you ever been to Idahos or Montanas website? Go to one of their websites and then try telling me how Wyomings compares to it. And just for your information, Ive done several hunts out west for elk, all DIY 2 of them in the Selway/Frank Church wilderness, I need or want an elk tied to a tree like I need another hole in my head.

I havent called any C.Os or biologists yet, still narrowing down the unit or units I want to concentrate on. I did find this site https://diyhuntingmaps.com, its been most helpful. Later on this week Ill be calling around the state, I like what Im hearing about how friendly and informative the people are when you call!!

Last edited:
Buzz, have you ever been to Idahos or Montanas website? Go to one of their websites and then try telling me how Wyomings compares to it. And just for your information, Ive done several hunts out west for elk, all DIY 2 of them in the Selway/Frank Church wilderness, I need or want an elk tied to a tree like I need another hole in my head.

No doubt Wyoming is WAY behind those states on their mapping/GIS department. Idaho has the best right now I think, pretty cool they even offer KMZ files of all the unit boundaries.

Until about 4 years ago the user interface was akin to MS DOS, so I'd say it's pretty good in comparison.

For better or worse, State agencies will be judged just as much by their web presence as they are for the things they actually do. Then again, there is no excuse for agencies to have websites of less quality than that which could be built by a private individual with almost no experience in an hour or two using SquareSpace.

This has been my experience.

IMO, good chit sells itself, and that would be the case with Wyoming hunting. I'll take quality hunting, high success, great draw odds, good age class of animals, large areas of public lands, great access program, over a high-tech website...all day long.

Its much easier to find google earth and mapping software, than a great hunt...

About as high-tech as you need to be to kill elk in Wyoming is throwing a dart at a map of the state.

IMO, good chit sells itself, and that would be the case with Wyoming hunting. I'll take quality hunting, high success, great draw odds, good age class of animals, large areas of public lands, great access program, over a high-tech website...all day long.

Its much easier to find google earth and mapping software, than a great hunt...

About as high-tech as you need to be to kill elk in Wyoming is throwing a dart at a map of the state.

It's either/or? The elk hunting would suffer if they built an interactive map?

IMO, good chit sells itself
Must be why Im looking to hunt in Wyoming ;-). Seriously, that is why Im looking to hunt in WY, heard so many great things, plus I have a friend thats getting into hunting that lives out there, huge plus!. Im just ranting, guess I was spoiled by IDs and MTs.

Thanks for everyones help!! and words of encouragement!!

Randy,

No, but why bitch on a bulletin board and make a stupid statement that Wyoming doesn't want DIY hunters?

How much more interactive do we need?

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/HUNTING-1001819.aspx#Elk

I guess NR hunting was impossible prior to the computer, google earth, and a one-click link to everything.

If a person cant find what they need to hunt Wyoming, they aren't trying very hard. Give me 10 minutes and a credit card and I'll be elk hunting.

First of all its not a stupid statement, like it or not, most of the leg work done to put together a DIY western hunt is done via websites and of that work, a huge portion of it takes place on the states website, why in the world would you have a first class hunting state like WY and have a website that looks like Obama put it together is beyond me. Like I said Buzz, you obviously havent used another states website. Tell me how http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/HUNTING-1001819.aspx#Elk even remotely compares to this; https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=115. Its like night and day.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back