Wyoming unit 22. First western hunt ever!

A.Maxwell

Hello to everyone on the forum, last month me and two buddies put in for some Antelope tags in Wyoming unit 22. I was wondering if anyone has ever hunted there or knows anything about it. This is our first western hunt, we are from Central Alabama so pretty much all of our experience is in whitetails, squirrels, and turkeys. Any tips or tricks would be GREATLY appreciated as well! Like i said this is our first western hunt, so were really going in blind! I chose the unit because of its location (Powder River runs along the Eastern border of the unit), the draw odds (100%) and the high success rate (93% or something like that). I dont really know what to expect so hopefully someone can help me out! Thanks in advance and god bless.
-Andrew

I would start trying to find a private ranch to hunt in that unit. You evidently didn't see the G&F * disclaimer showing the unit has very little accessible public land. That is why the tag is easy to draw and almost all the tags that are filled are on private ranches and that's why there is a high success rate. The northeast area you mentioned is about the only area in the unit that has any accessible BLM land and the only legal public road maintained by Johnson County to get to it is the Schoonover Road. Therefore, if you only hunt the BLM you'll need to access the land from there and do a lot of walking. The country is very broken and nasty and is noted more for deer in that area, rather than pronghorn. Good luck!

What top gun said. Lots of private land in that unit limited access. Call GF and see if they may have a list of land owners for trespass fee hunts. You will also need a good GPS and hunting map chips to make sure you don't get on private land if you go public access route. Good luck a hunt can be made there with right plan.

It looks like beautiful country on the topo, but like others said maybe better for deer. I'm sure a little shoe leather will put you on some animals. Looks like the more western portions of BLM are a little flatter.

It will be a world of difference from Alabama, that's certain and I have no doubt you will find some animals. There appears to be plenty enough BLM land available just not accessible by vehicle. In the event you are not aware, you can only travel public roads and pre-existing two tracks.

Knock 'em dead.

Last edited:
Yea i saw where it had limited access before i bought the tags, ive been studying the maps like a madman. I found two places last week that i may be able to goin access to. But if not im not afraid of a long hike, just sounds to me like less people to deal with, or at least thats how it is here. On the land here in Alabama i usually try and get as far off the beaten path as i can to get to those places other people dont wanna go, my best spot is about 2 miles behind a gate here. But anyways, im just happy to have the opportunity and i know the trip is going to be fun, antelope or not. Thanks for the input fellas, hopefully we will get one when the time comes, the waiting all summer is going to be horrible...

It sounds to me as though you'll do just fine.Buy the Wy chip for your gps though.Antelope aren't hard to hunt but finding a big one is the tricky part

As said above I'd have a gps win a onX map chip. I hunted 16 just above you last years a my first antelope hunt and had success mid week after the opening week madness was over but we filled our tags on small overlooked spots on federal land. Couldn't have done without the GPS chip, it's one of those cant leave home without it items.

Don't get discouraged.

I drove through the north east side last year after hunting 16. I think if you work hard and hike from the road that you can find one to shoot. Like others have said- it is fairly rough country and it does hold mule deer. Should be a fun trip. You will probably run into other hunters even during the week, you just have to walk further from the truck than they do.

Bring your GPS with the land ownership chip. You will have a lot more fun hunting area 22 antelope vs. sitting at home and wishing you had bought a tag. Go the trespass fee route if you want to have an easier hunt with more animals and less human pressure. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Never hunted that unit, but I wanted to echo what a lot of the guys here are telling you. Get the landowner chip for your gps. There is soo much gear out there now days, and almost all of it you do not need. But the GPS with the landowner chip is the one thing that is a game changer that will really help you out.

You will have a fun hunt, and it sounds like you have the right approach to your plans and strategy. The only things I will add is that you should prepare yourself for 200-300 yard shots, and in WIND. There is always wind in Wyoming. So practice your long shots and study the wind drift of your bullet.

You guys will have an awesome time. Its the perfect Western hunt to cut your teeth on.

There are lots of antelope you will do fine get the GPS maps and wear out some boots you will find game for sure. I have found most hunters won't walk a mile from the truck for antelope. I would also get in there early first few days of season before they get pushed around and shot at much.

The onx chip will be as important as your gun on this trip and that's no bs.

Last edited:
Yea i have Wyoming onxmaps on my phone, ive been trying to focus on hard to get to areas, as well as small tracts of state and federal lands that may be overlooked. I can download the maps onto my phone so i can view them without service, but im afraid that the battery life will be too unreliable, id hate to have to pass up a shot because my phone died and i didnt know if it would be legal or not. Im looking into getting a GPS, just not sure which one to get.

Yea i have onxmaps for my iphone but im wanting a real GPS, but i have no clue of whats a good make/model. Does anyone know a good affordable GPS (specifically Garmin because i work for field and stream and get a very nice discount on those!)

The cheapest Garmin you can buy that will take a chip is all you will need. The Legend HCx I use only cost $153. Just be careful in that most of the rest of the small public pieces of land in 22 are not legal to access because there are no public roads to them. I've been hunting out in Wyoming every year since 1999 and go through where we're talking about every year. You will probably be able to find some antelope with lots of walking by parking and camping along the Schoonover Road like I mentioned, but they are not all over the place like they are in other parts of that and adjacent units.

I made my first Wyoming Pronghorn hunt last year and it was a blast. So here are some thoughts that are still fresh in my mind that I learned on my first hunt.

• Shots to 300 yards are to be expected.
  • There is rarely a tree limb for you to rest your gun on to steady your shot
  • Shooting off a gun mounted bi-pod or your back pack might put you to low into the sage/ grass to get a clear shot so you might want to be practiced at shooting off sticks.
  • If you are willing to walk in several miles from your vehicle and drop an antelope on a warm day you should have a strategy planned out in advance to breakdown the animal and get it cooled and or processed asap.
  • Pronghorn, is fantastic table fare when cared for properly so it would be a shame to have it go bad.
  • Last but not least there is a lot of low profile cactus out there so bring some tweezers, because even though you have been warned, you will end up with some in you. :)

"Last but not least there is a lot of low profile cactus out there so bring some tweezers, because even though you have been warned, you will end up with some in you."

That's where a good pair of kneepads come in very handy on a goat hunt! Shooting off a bipod that can be lengthened to get you above stuff or shooting off sticks was also a very good suggestion.

Yea i have onxmaps for my iphone but im wanting a real GPS, but i have no clue of whats a good make/model. Does anyone know a good affordable GPS (specifically Garmin because i work for field and stream and get a very nice discount on those!)

I have a Garmin GPS62s and that thing has been indestructible! I've dropped it lots of times and it still looks like new. I think you can get one around $300.00 It is money well spent though.

EDIT: Actually I think this model is discontinued. It is a GPS64 now. Great units though. Not like the big flat screen Garmins but tough like a Nokia phone!

Last edited:
My bro in law and I hunted 22 last year, we killed 6 does opening morning on BLM land. As others have said GET the onxmaps chip for a GPS, I wouldn't trust my phone out there. Public lands can be found along w/ the lopes. Also you will find that the Oil companies like to post "private road no trespassing" signs on BLM roads, we didn't pay them much mind, neither did many other folks. I asked the game warden about it and never did get a clear answer if they could actually close a public road/two track. I checked with my buddy who's a BLM Ranger(LEO) he said no one can close a two track on public land other than the Feds.. The town of Buffalo is close by and has a great processor... Good luck man have fun

Last edited:
I discussed this with the BLM biologist for a unit close by. His comment (word for word) was "The signs were put up by the coal-bed methane companies, as required by BLM, to keep the amount of "road hunting" down. The roads were
constructed by the companies to access their wells."

We didn't feel it was right to hunt from roads specifically closed to give the antelope a break, so we did all of our hunting on foot. We still got our antelope and had a great time.

You better; have onx maps, study County roads (gis data on County website) take spare gas can, no or very limited fire wood as there are no trees if try to camp(I always do!) Be able to shot in high winds or at least know limit in it: 50+ happens! Limited water in that zone so plan for it. With some work planning, and a little boot leather you will be fine. Call a few ranches on access list to just have a idea as it might be worth it. Most lope hunters ride around and glass if you get out you can do good just don't be over picky if land is a issue. Buddy and i hunted zone south of it 2 years ago and shot 3 bucks and 4 does in 2 days and had a absolute blast! Got there 2 days earlier and found access and fair camping spot so we were way better prepared than most when opener hit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back