Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming tag question

RafterR

I’m starting to do some research for my first western hunt. I’m wanting to take my dad to Wyoming for both of us to do our first pronghorn hunt. We will be both going into the draw with 0 points but I know we can still draw not having points. My question is from what I have seen on the regs, you can apply for 1 buck and 2 reduced price doe tags in your draw application and can buy 2 more left over reduced price doe tags for up to a total of 1 buck tag and 4 doe tags. Is that the correct way of reading the regs? I figure if we’re gonna make the drive from Texas we might as well optimize our time spent in the field.

Actually I think you can also get a second type 1 as a leftover, but other than that I think your understanding is correct.

Good luck you’re certain to have a blast; be sure to come back with pics and a story here.

Add 1 more buck license. The problem you'll have is getting the xtras in the leftover draw.

So you’re saying left over doe tags aren’t usually available? Just trying to make sure I understand correctly to get a game plan going.
If I read things right, each person can have in their possession 1 buck and up to 4 reduced price doe tags. But only 2 reduced price doe tags can be applied for. The rest must be purchased as left over tags. I don’t necessarily have to get that many tags but I’d like to apply for what I can.

Last edited:
Leftover tags vary year to year but usually are in short supply for areas with decent access.

Thank you for the clarification! Trying to figure out all I can on understanding the regs to make the most of my trip

Leftover tags are not like they once were, with the late app deadline and the secondary draw it has become very difficult if not impossible to get 1 tag let alone 2 doe tags as leftovers.

Leftover tags are not like they once were, with the late app deadline and the secondary draw it has become very difficult if not impossible to get 1 tag let alone 2 doe tags as leftovers.

Exactly. I hunt the worst pronghorn unit in all of Wyoming and even it sells out after the second draw. It never used to.

Yes, but you'll need some luck.

You need to know what unit to apply for to get that second buck. One is unit 23 Type 2 because there are a ton of private land licenses left, but it will cost an access fee most of the time now to shoot a buck anywhere on private land. However, many times you can get free access to shoot does, especially later in the season and if you have a kid that is just getting started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back