PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Spoon and Crockpot trophy elk

sbhooper

Here is a pic from my late-season freezer-filler hunt. This is a huge cow, but was so old that there really was not that much meat in comparison to her size. Her teeth were nearly to the gum line and her ivories were worn nearly flat. She had no fat and I think would have been wolf bait before spring. She is a true trophy in my book.

One 160 grain Partition from my 7 mag sealed the deal at 443 yards. The slope was so steep and icy that we did not try to reposition the cow. We were afraid that she would start sliding and go over the 100-foot drop that was about 20 yards below us. Fortunately, we got her off in two packs and did not have to make a second trip.

That was definitely one of the trickiest spots that I have gotten into. I had to crawl to the top of a little ridge to take the shot, as I could not safely stand up on the steep, icy slope.

This trip was a combination of a hunt and a visit with family. It could not have gone better.

That lady looks huge, congrats.

She was huge. When we walked up to her, I thought we were in for one heck of an ordeal getting all the meat out. As it turned out, she was light in the meat areas. She was getting real thin in the quarters and back. Her chest was as big as any bull that I have shot and she looked to be real full. I just took the meat out of the cooler and weighed it and counting what we ate and left for my buddy, there was right at 100 pounds. I usually get at least 120 off a mature cow.

I think we did her a favor, as she was on the way downhill. I would have bet money that she would not have made it to spring.

The back strap and tenderloin that we ate was outstanding, though!

congrats on a nice cow, better you then the wolves. of course they will probably just find a different one

Love the title to your post, that's the only record book I'll ever make. At the same time all elk are trophies, good times & good eats. Congratulations!

Huge cow and it does sound like you did her a favor. Even though you say you only got 100 pounds from her I'd bet it will be some fine eating.

Love the title of your post. Way to go! Nothing better than crockpot cooking with game meat. Haven't had elk in a while maybe I should think harder about one of those late season cow hunts but we love our pronghorn meat too... soooo many hunts, so little time......

Huge cow and it does sound like you did her a favor. Even though you say you only got 100 pounds from her I'd bet it will be some fine eating.

The meat off that old cow is fantastic. We have eaten back, tenderloin and burger. It is as good as it gets. She raised a calf her last year and that shows what kind of an animal she was. If I was to guess, I would say she was at least 10 years old. I am just glad that some gut-eating wolf did not get her before I did.

A satisfying hunt to say the least.

Nice work on the cow.

With the kind of "winter" we're having, I wouldnt expect much, if any, winterkill. In particular on elk, they're not impacted like deer and pronghorn.

No shortage of elk steaks in the near future.

BuzzH;2344143 With the kind of "winter" we're having said:
I just hope this so called winter doesn't turn into a drought that does them harm next summer.

Thats a huge cow and a very good shot with a great caliber bullet combo,must have been fun

Thanks, Bob. It was a very big cow, but was real thin in the meat department due to her old age. I have killed a number of elk and she was hands down the oldest one. Her teeth were something else. Her paunch and chest were enormous.

We only came off the mountain with about 100 pounds of boned-out meat. I ended up with about 80-85 pounds after finished processing. That is the lightest that I have ever had on an adult cow. I firmly believe that the wolves would have gotten her before spring even if the weather held good.

I generally do not take shots farther than about 300 yards. That is the longest shot that I have ever taken at a big game animal. I know my gun, load and ballistics and that is the only reason that I took that shot. Due to the open country, there was no way to close the distance. I told my partner that I would take one shot and if I missed, I would not shoot again. I hit her exactly where I figured to.

I am really appalled at how many people are going out with the purpose of taking 500-1000 yard shots instead of using hunting ability to try to get closer. I believe it is leading the sport of hunting in the wrong direction.

Sorry for the rant.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back