PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Results

Burnt both my deer and antelope points and all 4 guys in our group drew our respective tags. 2 of us shared points for deer so we could all hunt together, 2 guys had no points. That bouncing from unit to unit is pretty lame.

After getting hosed on my elk tag it feels good when a plan comes together.

No first choice for me, got my second choice tag though. The leftover list sure looks bleak... Big point creep this year.

whew, I made it through the point creep! After five years, I finally have the opportunity to harvest my first buck antelope. Looking forward to this fall!

Paid the special for my dad and was unsuccessful. Pretty shocked actually... Point creep is a killer.

I now have a WY buck antelope tag in the same part of the state as my elk tag. Very happy with my WY plans, an antelope and elk combo is exactly what I wanted.

point creep???last year had 0 points drew the tag second choice 120 buck tags 97 first choice applicants..this year tags cut to 47 with 435 first choice...as I like to say What the Shit! My son didn't even draw his doe tags first choice

Drew tag for late deer hunt up in NW sector. C'mon migration, I want to see herds of bucks so thick the ground rumbles like a tatanka stampede! I will then shout "tahca" and dance then see if can get a buck in the crosshairs.

Drew my second choice tag, same unit as last year.

This year is just a continuation of last year. Its safe to assume moving forward draw odds prior to 2014 are irrelevant. Talking to guys last year in a leftover unit a lot of guys got displaced from the 0-2 pt South central units to the traditional leftover units in the NE. I think we are less than 5 years from leftover antelope buck tags being a thing of the past. Between people rethinking draw strategies and people doubling down on units they want to hunt there are a lot few tags going unissued.

Its clear people are playing the game and getting lots of 2nd and 3rd choice units in the draw instead of relying on leftover tags and putting in for longer shot 2nd/3rd picks.

Drew my second choice tag, same unit as last year.

This year is just a continuation of last year. Its safe to assume moving forward draw odds prior to 2014 are irrelevant. Talking to guys last year in a leftover unit a lot of guys got displaced from the 0-2 pt South central units to the traditional leftover units in the NE. I think we are less than 5 years from leftover antelope buck tags being a thing of the past. Between people rethinking draw strategies and people doubling down on units they want to hunt there are a lot few tags going unissued.

Its clear people are playing the game and getting lots of 2nd and 3rd choice units in the draw instead of relying on leftover tags and putting in for longer shot 2nd/3rd picks.
Agreed. A couple of good weather years in a row to help get the herd #s back to where they were would greatly help that I'd think.

Point creep is going to be a big issue in WY for a few years. Notice how many top point holders jumped into the game this year for the better deer and antelope units. Last year, my preferred deer unit was a guarantee with max points, This year, less than 10%. Considering that most would say WY deer is on a downward trend, it was surprising to see that many top-level point holders jump into the fray this year.

My preferred antelope tag that could be draw with 0-1 points for many years, jumped to 2, and now to 3+. With tags being cut to reflect the impacts of drought and winter, I expect even more creep as more and more guys question the sanity of sitting on their points.

I better make the most of that NM pronghorn tag. It's my only pronghorn hunt this year, barring some big change in fortunes in MT.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back