Wyoming pronghorn

mdunc8

Made it down to Wyoming for a quick hunt yesterday. It wasn't quite the hunt I had hoped for as I was supposed to be meeting my dad down there to take him on his first antelope hunt but some family issues came up late last week that forced him to cancel the day he was supposed to leave. Hopefully he'll make it out next year.

I decided to spend a day or two hunting by myself since I had burned a couple points for my tag. I managed to locate to giant bucks that I suspect were pushing 80". Unfortunately, they were far from any accessible public land. I found a couple other really nice bucks the day before the opener but nothing that got me too excited. About an hour before dark I found this guy with about 20 does. At first I didn't pay much attention to him as he was a little on the short side, but I noticed when he turned that he had really good prongs and pretty good mass. All the bucks I've shot have been relatively skinny with short prongs, so I decided I'd try for him the next morning. He was in a good spot away from a road where I thought I could have a good time the next morning without dealing with all the opening day road hunters. As luck would have it, I found them at daybreak about 200 yards from where I left them.

I'm not sure if it was the Wednesday opener, but I was really surprised by the lack of hunters. I had expected a complete circus but it actually wasn't too bad.

Thanks to guys who offered some insight about the our units.

Attachments

• DSC_0145.jpg
    DSC_0145.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 516
  • DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 516
  • DSC_0137.jpg
    DSC_0137.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 515
Looks like a success! Good job.

Got a tag up here this year too?

Really nice. . .I would have shot that one for sure. Way to get it done. Did you think the rut was on yet? RJ

Congrats. Sorry to hear that your Dad could not make it. Hopefully next year.

Congratulation on a great hunt. You are starting to get the antelope hunting down.

Sorry to hear about your dad cancelling. I love the father son hunts. Nice lope and hope for better luck getting together with your dad next year.

Nice mdunc! I love when speed goats flare out like that.
Mtlion shot one like that too I believe last year.
Kudos on a successful hunt man.

I know exactly where that pic of the hills was taken, some good elk and deer hunting just on the other side of that believe it or not, congrats on the goat! i was out in that unit opening day also it was very calm i liked it!

Back