Caribou Gear Tarp

wyoming griz hunt?

I think it would be great to do a griz hunt. But I would want a canon I think to shoot it. Just my luck I would shoot it and only wound it. Then could you imagine hunting down a Pissed off Griz in the woods???

I believe it is reasonable to expect a griz hunt, someday. However, if it's going to happen the PR better start very soon... I'm afraid a griz hunt may get more attention than the buffalo hunts of the 90's in Montana. I think it is necessary to manage the bear populations and hunting is one way to do that. I also believe that the people who draw a tag will have to get some training and earn some kind of permit.

I'm very surprised by the numbers of griz that are taken by fish and wildlife agents, trains, and poaching. Ask your state's giz bio how may bears they shoot and how many are poached. a lot of bears, in my view are being wasted.

I don't know. I saw 10 grizzlies in Alaska last year during canoeing and a caribou hunt. They would have charged me $10,000 or so for a guide since I'm not a resident there. What would Montana and Wyoming charge, $12,000, because its cheaper for me to get to my federal land there than my federal land in Alaska? Those that live there, it will probably be $20. What a rip off, if that's the way it happens.

It is about time. The bears have no fear of anything at the moment. Folks will still keep getting killed each year until something is done about it and maybe it will be legal to defend yourself now in the areas they live in. Someone mentioned using a large rifle for this, I agree I have been next to a pissed off griz and it was very qwe inspiring. I think a 20mm would be about right.

I expect a lot of opposition to the bears being delisted and will be very surprised if any kind of hunting season is established.

Tom, a grizzly doesn't cost $10K in AK, but the mandatory guide does. Unless they change the rules, there is no guide requirement in MT. Even if the tag is $2k, it would still be a steal.

elkofwyoming - welcome to Moosie's! Glad you joined in the discussion.

For some reason, I've never been that anxious to shoot a bear - black or grizzly. Just like I don't think I would want to shoot an elephant. Just my personal quirk...

What would Montana and Wyoming charge, $12,000,
Tom Montana doesn't require the use of outfitters for the hunting of grizzlies or any other animal here. That requirement urks me having to use a guide that most times just moved to Alaska and has no more skills than your average outdoorsman.
I know alot of guides and outfitters, and believe me your not getting a long time resident when you hire most of them.

It wasnt that long ago that MT had a grizzly season, and I expect both MT and WY to have a season again.

Justifying a season based on a person or two getting mauled or killed a year...is really BS...and not any kind of justification. My feeling is if you're afraid of getting mauled or killed by a griz, dont go to areas that have them. Stay on the porch under Ma's apron.

Its always been legal to defend yourself from grizzlies as well...so I'm not sure where that comment came from. Left field apparently.

As to the AK guide requirement, while I tend to not agree with it, it is a way to keep NR hunter numbers down and game populations viable. If there wasnt a guide requirement, you'd have to have a permit system for things like sheep and grizzly/brown bears. Sell OTC tags for those species to every lower-48er and in a couple years time you'd be hard pressed to find a griz or a legal ram in Alaska.

I've always been in favor of AK having a limited quota sheep/goat/griz drawing for NR hunters who dont want to hire a guide or outfitter. I hate that the state of AK basically subsidizes outfitters at the expense of NR hunters, but from a game/hunter management perspective it makes sense.

Its also fair to note that most AK hunting is not a cheap deal...even for AK residents who want to pursue trophy game like sheep and griz/brown bear. So, in some instances, hiring an outfitter may be more cost effective.

I hate that the state of AK basically subsidizes outfitters at the expense of NR hunters, but from a game/hunter management perspective it makes sense.
I agree with the first part wholeheartedly, but disagree with the logic for the second half. There are numerous ways to balance game numbers and demand. Now if you have the $$ you can hunt. I would second your idea though of a draw for those NRs that don't want to use a guide.

FYI- Our transporter in AK said that he wouldn't be too suprised if a few areas with lots of brown bears/grizzly aren't opened up to NR within the next couple of years.

I'm looking forward to the grizzley hunts. I think FWS will be real careful about this. Grizzlies don't reproduce until they're five years old and then it's one cub about every two-three years. There's not much room for error to keep the population at a viable level. It's not like wolves, which can reproduce fairly fast.

IT,

In good habitat grizzly sows can have multiple cubs. On a B. C. hunt I saw a sow with year old triplets that were of equal size and very healthy. FYI B. C. has a huntable population other than when politics stopped the season a few years back. It will be long up hill battle to ever have a grizzly hunting season in the GYE or lower 48 and will be 10 years minimum till victory. Delisting is a start however. I'm looking forward to the battle with the huggers....how about you?!

A grizzly hunt would be awesome! I would love to have a Bear Slam with a nice Griz, Blackie, Polar, Kodiak, etc.....Panda :) Koala :) Teddy:)

At the rate Wyoming is raising the price of their non-res tags, it will be more expensive to hunt there for griz than Alaska! haha!!
If I had to guess, the Fish and Game has surely made some effort to assemble a management plan which includes hunting permits. The delisting is not much of a suprise given the rapid expansion of population and range over the past decade. The political viability of the hunt is what is left to question...
It seems a pity though that all those bears are put down every year at the F&Gs expense, when they could ultimately collect funds from tag fees and let some of us utilize the resource. I'm guessing it will be a long time before this hunt is even close to a reality, but after enough cars & cabins are broken into and enough pets and yellowstone visiters are smacked, perhaps.... when it does, I know I'll be putting in for it though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back