Wyoming Deer Area 65

WI Whitetail Hunter

So I and a few friends drew our 3rd option this year and its Region J. We put it down just because we have not hunted this area before and and thought if we drew it, it would hopefully be a new and fun experience. were thinking of hanging around the lower half of 65 and 64 in the national forest. What is the hunting like. and with being new to the area i don't have any landowner contacts. Anyone know if landowners are friendly to NR in this area. and what do you suggest to start at for finding deer without being nuisance ORV riders and driving everywhere? Wyoming parcel viewer (GIS Mapping) is helpful and i do have Onyx maps. it looks like alot of land is private and is used by Outfitters. I consider this Cheat hunting I prefer DIY cuz that makes a true hunting experience.

Not much access south part of 64. Most ranchers get a fee if they allow hunting. Parts of 64 need the type 2 tag to legally hunt the WHMA on south Laramie Peak. Some decent deer. Hunt that last of the season.
Someone from Casper will need to comment on your northern part of the area. I suspect pressure will be in play but get out away from the roads.
End of Oct they start the pre rut and it makes a difference in what you will see.
Some whitetails and mule deer in the areas.

We'll be in Region J but have private access. I have no idea what to expect because its been 20 years since I was last out...

Unit 65 is only 10/15-10/21 if you have the general tag which is for antlered mule deer or any whitetail. Correct??

Don't be afraid to look south after the 21st if you don't see anything you like up in 65.

yes you are correct any antlered Deer. im thinking we will be in the forest off of boxelder rd.

Do i need permission slip to hunt the forest or any other land around that area that is not privately owned?

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back