Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Bull Elk hunt

LopeHunter

Drew a WY elk tag in a unit I had previously successfully hunted in 2008. I semi-retired from hunting after the 2016 ID bull moose hunt that wrecked my body for a week afterwards. Reality duly noted. I do not bounce back physically when things sprain or bruise or get sliced.

No more mountain man adventures with 100 pound packs switchbacking two miles into the nasty stuff. I have done that and have had some amazing adventures, usually solo.

This week's elk hunt fit my revised guidelines for low level of physical stress required before and after the shot as well as low risk that I screw up attempting to do something I should no longer be doing. So, no steep ridges. Stay below 10k elevation. What the heck, a hot shower with warm food plus cold beverages. Sleep in a bed at night. Yes to all of those this hunt.

I hoped would be a lot of snow on the Tetons and down in the valley so would look like the picture below but instead the Jackson Hole valley looked like Palm Springs with no snow anywhere near me.

GrandTetonsWinter-2TXW2050-1280x853.jpg

I flew to Jackson this time. In 2008 I drove straight through for 16 1/2 hours to start the hunt. And then drove home for 17 1/2 hours. In a 60 hour window. Not this time. The airplane is my buddy for this hunt. Driving was my Plan A for almost 3 decades. Driving means I have my SUV, can take all the gear might need, can easily bring the meat and antlers home and complete flexibility to head for home when the hunt ends. I have been stranded twice on the way to hunts when my older SUV decided wanted to rest at the side of the road. I ended up renting vehicles and continuing with the journey to the hunt while the SUV was repaired. Flying is simply easier on me now.

Sunrise Day 1 started with a shave and warm shower then a hot breakfast at McDonalds. 20F per the dashboard but I slept in a 68F room. I realize I miss the "roughing it" aspect of hunting yet I did sleep really well in that motel.

I parked at some woods along a river outside of Jackson. Crisp morning air burned at my lungs. Stars in the sky above faded as twilight built. Put on my boots, coat, vest, binos and hat. Grabbed a small daypack with license and ammo.

Put three rounds in the magazine of my .338 Win Mag that first drew blood on the 2008 hunt. Left the chamber empty and set to full safety the 3 position safety. I shoot 250 grain bullets in factory loads. I am not a long-range shooter so have not had issues with off the shelf ammo. I know bullet drop and drift. When I shot my .308 Win for everything but elk, I would vary the bullet weight depending on the hunt. Never quite got as comfortable with that varying performance of drop and drift.

Almost immediately a grouse exploded up a few feet in front of me. Rattlesnakes are more relaxing to me.

After some time glassing along the perimeter of a thicker stand of conifers I angled through step, pause, step. At 940am I bumped a 6x4 bull from its bed at archery range. Around 300 class. Bumped some more grouse. Saw a bald eagle and a coyote. Just saw the one elk today. I have two more full days to hunt and early morning on the last day, if needed. Drove to motel. A gentleman’s hunt is unfolding. Oddly comforting. A bit hollow.

Day 2 was 17F at daybreak. Saw a thick-tailed coyote and a red fox as long shadows formed in the morning light. Then I glassed up four bulls milling around 200 yards into the woods. There are a few minutes at daybreak where binos allow you to see what your eyes are not quite able to see yet. The two 4x4s were tapping horns but not aggressively while the 5x4 and 5x5 were focused on food. Hard to sort out the antlers though the trees, brush and movement but did not see any drop tines and were well under 300 class. I hiked towards the river and then moved downstream and spotted a bull. Was by itself but within 1/2 mile or so of the group of 4 bulls.

Was able to get in closer but the elk was walking and feeding so I would gain a bit then lose a bit. There was a break in the woods so was able to set up for a shot. Racked a round in the chamber. Safety off. Slow exhale as squeezed lightly against the trigger waiting to be spruced by the break. A bit over 200 yards. Got lungs then the bull went in a tight spin circle and took off at a trot. Shot high, I think, on second shot then got base of neck on third. Was not yet 9am. Set up for a couple of pictures and got to work.

WY 78 Bull 2017.jpg

Dropped off the meat at a smokehouse, the antlers at a taxidermist who uses beetles for a Euro mount and headed to the motel to check on moving my flight up a day or two. Was able to fly out sooner with a ticket change so did and am now at home. Below is the 2008 bull that fell within a mile of this week's bull. I suppose in 9 more years will be back again.

Jackson WY with Rocky Mtn Elk shot with rifle_Fotor.jpg

So, how would I rate this hunt? I ended up with a nice bull elk and will savor the summer sausage and jerky this winter. The adventure is a big part of the journey, though, and this was so comfortable that is hard to say I absorbed a lot of physical sacrifice and pain to complete the journey. I am okay with that as I sit here typing this I am not nursing aches and pains I would have gotten if was camping up in the high country and packing out 4 or 5 loads on my back while slipping and tumbling every 1/4 mile or so. No limping and not having to deal with being unable to find a comfortable position as drive or try to sleep. A gentleman's hunt it was. A great adventure it was not. I would do it again in a heartbeat and even this might be too much to take on in another 9 years.

Last edited:
Did you have to pack the bull far or were you outfitted? Nice to get an easier one every now and then.

Great Bulls!
Nothing wrong with a gentleman’s hunt. They can be some of the most enjoyable ones.

Great bulls - they seem to have really similar fronts.

Sometimes the adventure is just a break and a bit of a reset.

Very nice!
I hear ya on the toneing it down hunt style these days. Thinking of just driving down daily for my deer hunt this year,1 1/2 hrs.
Only downside is the amount of animals on the roads @ o'dark....

Nice bull, I'm all for hotel hunting, nothing wrong with it in my book.

Did you have to pack the bull far or were you outfitted? Nice to get an easier one every now and then.

No quartering and packing. I picked up this tag in the leftover draw and was limited to private land and only good through 10/31. Am curious how many of the 50 tag holders ended up filling the tag. I expect 10%. This tag was not authorized prior to the 2017 NR elk application deadline. I do not expect there will be leftover tags in 2018 and may not even be offered. Was controversial with the landowners so 2017 could be the end of it or might not be.

I have driven tractors since was 6 years old as I grew up on a farm and family labor was the cheapest labor. I used a tractor with a front-loader and 20 feet of chain to lift the bull after field-dressing and set the bull into my rented truck's bed. The smokehouse lifted out the elk out of the truck with an electric hoist and did the skinning. They handed me the head and antlers which I dropped at the taxidermist. I woke up Monday without an ache or sprain reminding me I had a bull down the prior day.

Back