Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Bison

waynep

Drew a Wyoming Bison tag this year. Was wanting anyone's advice that has drawn this tag in the past on if hunting the elk refuge. Is this the best way and only way to have success.

It's probably not the only way to have success but I imagine its probably the easiest. I have a friend who guides in the area and he said that it really boils down to if the bison are on the refuge or if they aren't. It will probably help to call the local warden (I think his name is Kyle, but I haven't lived there in a few years). I don't know what the season dates are but I would think the later in the season the better. A friend of mine took a bison on the refuge a few years ago and I think it was in mid-late December. Also remember that the refuge is a lot bigger than what you see from the road into Jackson. It goes all the way up to the Gros Ventre river. On the other side of the river is Grand Teton NP and that is where they migrate from. If I had the tag I would probably work as close to the river as I could. Nice thing about the refuge is most of it is grass and sage so you can see a lot of country. Its definitely a cool opportunity and I wish I had drawn that tag when I lived there!

I've been in on about a dozen buff hunts around Jackson. When I had my tag we couldn't hunt the refuge. The following year they opened up the refuge. The rules are constantly changing but the two main areas are the refuge and Shadow Mountain.

Shadow.... try to make a trip up there this summer and physically walk the park boundaries. Learn where those little white markers are. You will pay hefty fines if you screw that up. The bison know where those damn stakes are and you will spend days watching them chewing their cud laid up right at the markers. There is water on Shadow so they will eventually come out of the park to legal shooting spots. This isn't a secret and you will see an outfitter or two with camp spots on the high overlooks to watch for them coming to water. We did get screwed with one year by the anti's as they made a big group circle and hazed the bison back into the park. We took awesome pictures and the cell reception is great on Shadow. That problem was quickly corrected.

Refuge... You have to catch them on it. Have killed them there on opening day and late in the year with three feet of snow.

In general, get set to spend some serious time up there doing absolutely nothing but sitting on your rear and waiting. Let your glasses do the walking. Cows will generally be all herded up. Some bulls will be loaners and do their own thing. One minute there won't be a single critter on Shadow and the next minute a bull will come walking by out of nowhere. One poor guy spent a week straight on Shadow one year with a bull tag and saw nothing. He shared his disgust with us as we sat on an overlook. Ten minutes after he called it a hunt and left... two bulls walked right in front of us.

Have a plan for the fun after you drop one. They are a ton of work.

I know guys have killed them in other places like Spread Creek and Ditch Creek but no such luck for me in those places.

To answer your question requires knowing if you drew a bull or cow tag. A cow tag requires hunting the refuge for sure. Cows rarely travel onto the NF land outside the Park.

Do not need to hunt the refuge to kill a bull. I have been on five bull bison hunts(two of my own) and know several other friends who have taken bull bison; three to four days tops to kill a bull on Forest.

JM is correct. Bulls are way easier to kill. We have actually killed more cows on NF vs the refuge. Its just a longer waiting game.

Hunt your cow on the refuge late season, Jan. is usually best, depends on snow.
Get a permit through the drawing for a refuge time, then they will let you on other dates on a day pass.
Shadow had no cows last 2 years we hunted them.
Jon Stephens is a GW there and keeps tabs on the bison during the season. Call the Jackson office, those gals up front know all about the bison hunt.
Ask for the hunters rate at your hotel, some have one in Jackson and it makes lodging very reasonable.

Sounds like Brad knows the early season hunting better. We hunted late both years we took cows, early Jan.

Hunt your cow on the refuge late season, Jan. is usually best, depends on snow.
Get a permit through the drawing for a refuge time, then they will let you on other dates on a day pass.
Shadow had no cows last 2 years we hunted them.
Jon Stephens is a GW there and keeps tabs on the bison during the season. Call the Jackson office, those gals up front know all about the bison hunt.
Ask for the hunters rate at your hotel, some have one in Jackson and it makes lodging very reasonable.

Sounds like Brad knows the early season hunting better. We hunted late both years we took cows, early Jan.

I will apply and hunt the refuge in the later season, but I was just curious about the NF and cows, because the season opens August 15 and I live 2.5 hours away.

I will apply and hunt the refuge in the later season, but I was just curious about the NF and cows, because the season opens August 15 and I live 2.5 hours away.

I wouldn't waste my time hunting a cow bison until they are on the refuge.

I dont know how they are doing the refuge these days, in the past you were given a date range to hunt and if you stopped into the office they would actually allow you to hunt anytime. Our easiest hunt was an August 15th hunt. We went up a day early and found the herd on the refuge. Went out at 3 in the morning and at first light we popped a cow and a bull.

As others have said, later in the season is the best time for the refuge but the going can be tough in deep snow and the retrieval roads will be closed due to snow as well. Tag n Drag will be your friend. My most miserable hunt was on the refuge in late December. I won't share details because I don't wish to get anyone in trouble but I will say the guys in the big green trucks up there are some seriously good people.

Call the Jackson office and talk with them. They are usually very helpful.

Last edited:
NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back