Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Bear Party

Funny part of the night creek crossing was me tossing my boots over before crossing and hearing the "splash." Sucked but I at least didn't lose them.

Regarding Pat and the 530m shot. I tried to get him to shoot at 700, 650, 600, etc.. as I knew he had the equipment & know-how to do it, and thought we risked losing sight of the bear. He set up for the shot multiple times, then would stand up and say, "I want to get closer." He got as close as he could, as low on the others side of the drainage as possible while still seeing the bear. It doesn't look thick in the photos, but there was a limited window of opportunity for the shot and he made sure he was 110% confident. He shot the bear one time broadside - through the heart. It jumped, ran 40 yards, then tipped over.

cool write up and pictures. That "creek" looked more like a river to me. I think i would have been kinda leery about crossing it, but I almost lost my life crossing a river that looked a lot shallower than it really was.

Big congrats to Pat on that great WY bear.

Without question the most enjoyable bear hunt I've ever been on. Just a quality experience with two really good hunters...and even better people.

The evening hunt last night was one for the books, almost unbelievable.

Oh, and Greenhorn, I didnt end up with a bear. Hiked up the ridge with the lime-green aspens and saw 4 bears on the hillside where we glassed up that smallish lone blond one. I saw it again and could have shot it, but its just a size too small despite the awesome color and the hair was perfect. I think he'd be short of 5 feet...it was tempting though. I saw one other nice brown one on that sidehill up further in the trees. I made a run at him and lost him in the timber, too bad because I think it was a pretty darn good bear. It didnt really quit raining the whole time and visibility was in and out all day, mostly out.

My God, guys. Those pics provide some serious "pucker factor" just by looking at them - can't imagine what it was like for real.

This story pretty much answers the naysayers about some guys just getting lucky. That is not luck. That is hard work, bordering on insane treachery. Glad you took pics of it the way you did, as it would have been hard to find words to describe the river crossing, the splash, the shot, the size of the bear, and the amount of packing required.

Very glad to see the results of this hunt. Amazing that you guys could go into an area and find bears like that, in such short order. Probably not going to be the same result for guys who are less experienced in the pursuit of black bears.

Congrats to all of you. Looking forward to hearing this one in person.

A great bear. Ones of that size are few and far between. A good match to the one you shot. Hope Buzz can complete the trifecta.

Awesome story and photos guys! Thanks for sharng. Looks like a great bear hunt . . . cold . . .wet . . . and bloody. :)

Great photos and write up guys! Crossing in the dark is always a spooky event. The headlamps just reflect off the water and you can't see crap. I did the Gallatin with my friend and ended up neck deep and my gun and pack soaked. I can appreciate some of your adventure. Thanks again.

You guys are going to have others of us hanging posters of you guys on our walls. Our wives are going to think we are switching teams if you know what I mean. Cindy Crawford pictures aren't getting it done for me with the bears so maybe Kurt, Pat, and Buzz will bring me better luck. That's a scary thought.

Excellant job guys. Thanks for taking the time to post up the story and pictures Greenhorn.

Made it back home and drying out gear....Kurt nice job on writing this up!! When I walked in the door door I told my wife and boys that was the best bear hunt I've ever been on...That was black bear number 29 and probably going to be impossible to top that whole experience....ever.

Buzz, It was great to get together....you and I have a lot in common and will share many great hunts in the future. And some day we'll joke about BS'ing all night until daylight the next morning!! Just like a couple of gungho school boys going on their first deer hunt!....grin!!

Great bear, photos & story. I'll echo what others have said about earning it with your hard work & navigating treacherous territory. The snow looks mighty nice (a white-hot 110 in PHX today).

Oh, and thanks for the beer ;)

Too bad some folks decide it's okay to help themselves to other peoples' property, even if it is just a 12 oz coldy...

Pat,

BSing until daylight is something I cant recall doing more than just a time or two...covered a lot of country in that conversation, all of it good.

I agree, there will be more hunts in the future for sure.

Oh, and thanks a lot for the slings...sure didnt expect those, but I will be sure to put them to good use.

Man guys, what a great hunt!! Just crossed the line of seeing over 20 bears for the year and still haven't notched a tag................So many sows with cubs this year........thinking pretty soon, i'm gonna need a pair of "cub slippers":):)LOL

A bed-spread and 2 pillow cases.

When can we talk about "smashing deer?"

Buzz had me crying a couple times.

Great stuff guys...story...photos...and whole experience....looks like you had fun:D?!

Thanks for sharing!!

Moe;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back