Wyoming antelope unit 23

dww

Anyone have any experience with PUBLIC land in unit 23. I am looking at buying a left over tag. I have talked with the warden and he did have much good to say. Basically he said don't waste your time. The wyoming Dow shows over 90% success rate in this unit. I know it is mostly private, but I can't believe that with over 20 thousand area to hunt I can't find a few does and small bucks. I'm not looking for a trophy, I just want to go. If you have any info, good or bad, it would be appreciated.

It's really difficult in 23. Most of the public land you see on the BLM maps is landlocked and though it may seem there are roads to get to it, these roads are private as well. The northern public part of 23 is really hilly and doesn't seem to hold many either. There is a reason there are always a ton of left over tags that never get bought. I live here and have had alot of trouble filling tags on the public in that unit.

Thanks for the info. It looks like there is about 20000 acres in that north part that has good access. That is what I was planning on hunting. It doesnt sound like it is worth a 17 hour drive. Diss appointing. My 9 day deer hunt ended on the first day. I was looking forward to another trip.

Thanks for the info. It looks like there is about 20000 acres in that north part that has good access. That is what I was planning on hunting. It doesnt sound like it is worth a 17 hour drive. Diss appointing. My 9 day deer hunt ended on the first day. I was looking forward to another trip.

Buy a leftover deer tag in another part of WY instead.

That area has 4 units that come together and all have leftovers. I wouldn't give up that easy. :)

Call the Wyoming Game and Fish, ask for the current antelope landowners list and call anyone in the units you would consider hunting that have left overs. You never know you may find a diamond in the rough, secure permission and then buy the left over tag.

Granted my experience is from 6 years ago, but we hunted mulies in the BLM blocks just north of Unit 23 second week of rifle season. In 6 days of chasing mulies (which were there in low but huntable quantities) we saw exactly 0 pronghorn. Saw several antelope carcasses from early in the rifle hunt, but nothing alive. I can't imagine the situation to be much better just south of the interstate there in Unit 23. Thankfully, we had already arranged trespass hunts on a private ranch and the 'lope hunting was phenomenal even 2 weeks after opener. Saw well over 1000 goats in 2 days. Shopping not hunting. Just my 2 cents.

Back