Wyoming Antelope Hunt- 6 for 6!

Outdoor Junkie

Hey guys,

My brother, Bob (canoecountry) and I went back out to Wyoming for the third time in four years and the results were basically the same. I'd prefer not to say where we were at, but I will say that we have hunted all public land and the unit we hunt has leftovers every year. For the guys building up tons of points, I respect you, but there are a ton of good antelope on public land. My brother hunted with one of our long time friends (Cory) and our 18 year old Nephew (Brandon) while I hunted with our brother-in-law (Keith) and our 16 year old nephew (Kyle). We have a certain chunk (~ 10 sq. miles when combined) that rarely gets hunted, which we affectionately call Death Valley. The plan was to get into two high vantage points about 2 miles apart just before sun up and find some antelopes so that my nephews cold get some shooting. About 10 minutes into the season, I realized that I left my gun leaning up against the side of my truck about 200 yards away. As I turned to walk back to the truck I realize that a herd of 6 does and a buck where directly behind us. I snuck back down and got Kyle set up, but the herd had seen us and crested the ridge before he could get stable. We snuck around the hill and there was no sign of the antelope. Based on this, we knew they had to be past the next crest. As we began to sneak up to that crest the buck came over the crest and started walking straight toward us to about 100 yards. My nephew settled in and made a great shot, which dropped him.

At the same time, my brother had got my nephew Brandon got on a great (wide) antelope over on his side of Death Valley. Brandon also made a great shot and dropped this one in his tracks.

While my Brother and Brandon were sneaking up on their antelope, our friend Cory spotted a nice buck out about 1 1/2 miles from where they were at. After they tagged and gutted Brandon’s antelope, they proceeded to put on the stalk for the buck Cory had spotted. By this time, our group had already tagged and gutted Kyle's buck and we watched Cory sneak over a rock ledge and put the hammer down on this nice buck (see buck on the left).

At this point, we had 3 of the 6 tags filled by noon on the first day.... typical Wyoming antelope hunting :)

Later that afternoon Kyle, Keith and I went up to a "honey hole" which we have done really well on in years past. It's only 1 square mile of state land, but it's proven to be really good. After glassing for a bit, my nephew saw a heard of about 25 does all bedded with one really great buck. We knew they were close to the private, but we decided to make a stalk and see if we could get a closer look to where they were. We crested a ridge about 270 yards from them and based on my GPS, I thought that they were right on the property boundary, so I told him not to shoot. After watching them for a while, the heard got up and moved back onto the private land. After they left, we walked up to where they were and wouldn't you know they were actually ~120 yards onto public.... oh well, better safe than sorry!

The next day, we went back out to Death Valley, but things were very quiet. My brother and their group decided to check out the water hole where I shot my mule deer 2 years ago and while heading over there, they found this really great buck. Bob waited them out and made a nice shot on this buck at 280 yards when the herd got up to graze.

At that point, it was just Keith and I with open tags. Based on that, Keith hopped in with my brother and Cory hopped in with me, so that we had 1 open tag per vehicle. Bob and Keith found a heard on a 1 square mile of state land while they were driving to a piece of walk in land that we like to hunt. After a half mile stalk, Keith was able to tag this nice antelope buck from about 200 yards.

While that was happening, Cory, Kyle and I pulled up to a huge chunk of walk in access/ public (~ 10 square miles) that we've hunted in the past, which has quickly become a favorite for me. We started to glass and I saw what looked like about 10 black spots moving across a yellow grass area about 2 miles away. It was all that we could do to see them through the binos, but we figured what the heck; let’s go see what they are. After a very long stalk, we eased over what we figured had to be the last ridge and we started seeing horn tips above the grass. Cory and I snuck around about 150 yards from where we originally crested, so that we could get a better vantage point on the bucks. At that point, some of the bucks started chasing each other around. There were 2 yearlings, a decent wider buck and a taller buck without a lot of mass. At one point, the bucks ran behind this hill and a much bigger, wider buck came running out and chasing after them. I knew that was the one I wanted. The problem is that as soon as he showed up, he disappeared...almost as if it we were imagining it. I looked over the other 4 bucks and decided that I didn't want to shoot any of them and my decision was hastened by a down pour that opened up bringing 40-50 mile per hour gusts. At the same time, one of the small bucks saw me and the entire heard (30 or so antelope) ran off and crested a ridge about a mile away. We retreated about 300 yards and tucked behind an overhang until the weather cleared. After the wind calmed and we warmed up, I asked that we go back and come around the other side of that hill, since we never saw the wide buck come back around. As we snuck around the edge of the hill, Cory noticed the horns from the wide one we had seen earlier. He was bedded with 16 does and the only reason we saw him earlier is that he was ticked that the other bucks got to close to his harem. I belly crawled in to about 200 yards, when out of nowhere, the buck stood up. I gently pulled my pack frame up in front of me and set my gun on top as a rest, at which point the buck started running right at me.... he thought I was another antelope screwing with his girls. At about 110 yards he slowed down and started to realize I wasn't an antelope. As he began to quarter to turn, I shot and dropped him where he stood. We gutted him and strapped him to my frame pack for the 2 mile hike back to the road.

Here is a final shot of the group with all of our bucks. Wyoming antelope has once again proven to be a phenomenal hunt.

Attachments

• 2014-10-06 15.29.29.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.29.29.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 670
  • 2014-10-06 15.29.51.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.29.51.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 665
  • 2014-10-06 15.29.43.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.29.43.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 674
  • 2014-10-06 15.26.43.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.26.43.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 673
  • 2014-10-06 15.26.49.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.26.49.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 665
  • 2014-10-06 15.27.04.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.27.04.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 675
  • 2014-10-06 15.27.43.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.27.43.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 667
  • 2014-10-06 15.27.35.jpg
    2014-10-06 15.27.35.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 670
Sorry guys, I tried to embed the pictures during the story, but they all showed up at the end. If there is any advice on how to change that, please let me know and I'll get it so teh pictures flow in the story.

Thanks,
Chuck

In Montana when we fill our basket with fish, we say "We have a mess of Fish" Well I think it's appropriate to say "That is a "Mess" of Antelope you fellas have there. Congrats on the hunt!

Nice! Looks like you guys had a great time and took some nice bucks. I too hunt a 'leftover' unit and usually have good success. I leave tommorrow....hope you left a couple

That's a fun hunt to always remember, congrats! We just got back also. Will post later. For next year, if you watch Randy's gutless method video from this site you could save your backs a lot of work :D Great shooting guys, and nice to see you taking the youngns along!

Thanks Muskeez! I actually did the gutless method on an elk.... or should I say Buzz did a gutless metthod on an elk last year with our assistance. The truth is that we're doing a high country mule deer hunt in western Wyoming next year and I've been training ( about 20 miles in the last 2 months) on the treadmill with an 80# bag of rock salt in this same game carrier. I wanted to see if I could handle a gutted antelope and it was actually not bad at all.

The mule deer next year will get the gutless (and the deboned) treatment before he comes down off the mountain :)!

I'm looking forward to reading about your hunt!

That's a fun hunt to always remember, congrats! We just got back also. Will post later. For next year, if you watch Randy's gutless method video from this site you could save your backs a lot of work :D Great shooting guys, and nice to see you taking the youngns along!

It's Wyoming.... there's more than enough antelope for eveyone :)! depending on what unit you are in, I might be able to tell you where the big boy was that we passed on, because we thought he was on private. He would have easily been the second biggest, behind my brothers.

Nice! Looks like you guys had a great time and took some nice bucks. I too hunt a 'leftover' unit and usually have good success. I leave tommorrow....hope you left a couple

That one is the biggest I have seen to date and we probably glassed a 150 bucks in the last 3 years combined between our group. I knew he was big but when I dialed in the 16 power scope on the 300 WSM my heart really started to pump. Took him at 300 yards but had to wait about an hour and a half for him to get back up.
Awesome goats especially the 4th from the bottom that guy is big

Outdoor Junkie (Chuck), you really put the details into the stories. Although I am happy with a great buck, the greatest memory is seeing my nephew set up on his great lope (2nd biggest of the trip, not bad for his first time hunting lopes) and make an excellent shot and Cory and myself jumping around hooting and hollering afterwards. I think my nephew was in shock that it all happened so quick. Two more years and Cory's son and my daughter turn 10, we are going to do this hunt with them. I am already excited at an opportunity for them to enjoy this awesome experience. We will try to give Death Valley a break next year and try our hand at some high country mule deer on the west side of the state. I strongly suggest a Wyoming antelope hunt for anyone's first time hunting. If this doesn't get them addicted, nothing will!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back