Wyo Wildlife Task Force and the new outfitter/landowner draw proposal

If the avg elk hunt is $7500, it's pretty reasonable to think the avg hunter spends an additional $500 on tip/dining/lodging/fuel etc in state.

I doubt the avg DIY hunter spends $2k / year in state in addition to the tag costs. Still, that's also comparing to only 25% of outfitter $ staying in state.
Wrong. I spend that just in fuel while hunting my home state of WY. Add in food, camp gear, hunting gear/arrows/broadheads/reloading, boots, etc.

Simple solution: Reduce tag allocations for all, go to draws and waiting periods on high quality units and improve habitat.
Problem solved.

Like I said. Sell them all via auction and #*^@#* whomever gets priced out. It’s the American way. Just not the North American model way.
I suggested this in the MT thread as an experiment, but only for a limited portion of high quality units. We don’t really really know how price changes demand (price elasticity of demand) until we do a direct auction. It would be interesting to see the results, but I get the social argument against. It happens on a small scale for some sheep tags and other special tags and the money goes directly to the resource, so it is not unheard of.

I think We need to acknowledge the economic back drop of a widening wealth gap in our society and an increasing costs of good wildlife management practices. Giving out $20 resident tags only gets you so much. NR should pay more but 50-60x? That system is begging for the wildlife to be monetized and guides and outfitters to have a larger say in management.

Extreme #1: Free tags for everyone, everyone can apply, odds decrease to Powerball odds.
Extreme #2: All tags are auctioned without restrictions on how many tags a person can buy. All tags go to like 40 (or less) of the wealthiest people.

Just wanted to makes sure we knew what the sideboards of this discussion were.

Extreme #1: Free tags for everyone, everyone can apply, odds decrease to Powerball odds.
Extreme #2: All tags are auctioned without restrictions on how many tags a person can buy. All tags go to like 40 (or less) of the wealthiest people.

Just wanted to makes sure we knew what the sideboards of this discussion were.
I think maybe the decades of fantastic hunting opportunity in Wyoming in particular have really made all this feel personal for a lot of people. Every time big changes to Wyoming get discussed, the conversation devolves in such a way that makes me feel like non resident hunting (and maybe even hunting in general) in the future is screwed.

the conversation devolves in such a way that makes me feel like non resident hunting (and maybe even hunting in general) in the future is screwed
Sadly this statement I believe is true. I don't see a scenario where non resident hunting in western states isn't screwed.

Sadly this statement I believe is true. I don't see a scenario where non resident hunting in western states isn't screwed.
Nah, somebody's gonna have to foot the bill. Hard to imagine residents stepping up to the plate if they aren't forced to at gunpoint.

Nah, somebody's gonna have to foot the bill. Hard to imagine residents stepping up to the plate if they aren't forced to at gunpoint.
50 years from now or maybe even 100 years from now, I just don't see the typical Joe from Indiana or wherever being able to get a Bull Elk tag in Wyoming without having to head to private to do it or pay through the roof to accomplish it.

50 years from now or maybe even 100 years from now, I just don't see the typical Joe from Indiana or wherever being able to get a Bull Elk tag in Wyoming without having to head to private to do it or pay through the roof to accomplish it.
You may be right. From my perspective, 100 years from now we'll be damn lucky if all were worried about is elk tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back