wy unit 68 or 63

mixedbag

Anyone ever hunt in unit 68?I may just use up my antelope points(6) this year,and it seems like a great unit with plenty of land to hunt.Wondered what the opening week pressure would be like in there.Also,I'd be interested in trophy size and just overall quality of the hunt
I put my son in for east side of unit 63 with his points.Pretty much same question on size and pressure.He wont care about size, but I'd like to know a realistic size to look for in the unit.I'll be holding his bullets,lol.Its his 1st antelope hunt,if he draws

I've hunted 63(east) a couple of times. First time was with an antelope buck tag and couple extra doe tags. Second trip was doe only. I am traveling this weekend, so I will shoot you a pm when I get home and look at my maps. It was a great hunt. Building points to head back out there again in the next couple of years.

I've shot pronghorn in both of those units and hunted them a fair bit.

Both have plenty of access, lots of BLM, and good numbers.

Heres a buck my Dad shot in 68 several years ago. I had a much better buck spotted, but Dad couldn't make it for opening day. The buck was in a pretty visible place and I'm sure it got shot before he got there. I looked and looked and couldn't turn it up.

IIRC, this buck was over 15 and had 7 inch bases...short prongs kept it from being a book head...think it grossed 79ish.

DSCN7867.JPG

I shot this one in 68 the following year, 76-77 gross.

IMG_0641.JPG

Its just like most of the other units, you have to look at a ton of pronghorn to find a book head. They are spread out over the entire unit, definitely some areas that hold more than others.

Its just the usual, nothing to be had but a ton of fun trying to find a buck that has it all.

Pressure was essentially non-existent both times I hunted it, and the quotas were much higher than now.

Its a fun area.

Think the "its a fun area",answers the question on where I'll throw my points.Thanks guys

Just got don applying for my unit 68 tag.My son is in for unit 63 type 2.Going to be a trip of a lifetime for him.He gets to hunt a great antelope unit first then off to try and fill his bull tag in unit 98.So glad I bought him points since he was 12,and will be doing that for my youngest son and daughter in a few years

Good luck. We were planning on getting a few more points and hunting 68 in a few years. We got impatient and were ready to hunt so applied in 74 this year right next to 68. I'm sure you'll have a fun hunt.

Haven't been to 68 but went to 63 East last year and saw a fair number of animals, not overwhelming, but it was a fun hunt overall.

Sorry mixed bag I just saw this post. I helped my father in law kill a nice buck in 68. Hit me up if you drew the tag.

I've hunted both.......with 68 being a touch better IMO......You will have no trouble finding antelope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back