Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY General Elk

MIBwy

Hey all looking at giving a WY General Elk area a shot this yr. Never done it, thinking around snowiest, bighorns, Alpine or lander. Anyone have any insight to what to expect? I'd love to be able to "scout" by by glassing, I don't see that happening in any of those areas? Can u share your experience s w these areas?

Well, better pick up that license TODAY - last day to put in for leftover cow/calk tags in general areas. Unless you are a WY resident and plan to buy a general tag over the counter. https://wgfapps.wyo.gov/QuotaAvailability/QuotaReport.aspx

Your question is super broad - you might not get much helpful advice. There are elk all over the place and plenty of open areas to see them through optics.

Well, better pick up that license TODAY - last day to put in for leftover cow/calk tags in general areas. Unless you are a WY resident and plan to buy a general tag over the counter. https://wgfapps.wyo.gov/QuotaAvailability/QuotaReport.aspx

Your question is super broad - you might not get much helpful advice. There are elk all over the place and plenty of open areas to see them through optics.

I figured it might be too broad. I had hoped several guys had seen all areas and can advise which they prefer, or what the good and bass are. The one time in snowy range was pretty dense forest So I assumed not much opportunity to use optics at distance. In that area is it better farther west you go 110,13,21? Wilderness areas best places? Does a guy want be by borders on limited quota units or private? 27,98,97 have Grizzly bears? It'll be an archery hunt in Sept, is it better usually early or later? Do they talk much in general or stay quiet w all pressure?

Welcome to Hunt Talk. Snowies will get a lot of pressure even during archery. If you're not a resident, you will need a non-resident guide to access the Wilderness areas.

Good luck. The times I've archery hunted the general units there's been no real need to glass. Just pick a bugle and chase it. Elk were everywhere. There are a ton of places to research your hunt. First decide what type of terrain you want to hunt and if you want to deal with big bears. Your answer to those two questions will greatly narrow down your search.

I would look at Randy's youtube elk videos. That will provide answers to most/all of your general questions above. From there, spend some significant time in the woods and that will provide a good foundation upon which you can ask more specific questions to hone your skills. Good luck this fall!

There are a lot of high quality general elk areas in the state. The opportunity to explore with glass can be had in multiple units. Assuming you are a resident in WY, I'd start by looking at which ones you are closest too. Spending time in the area is going to be key to learning it. I'd start with proximity and then work out into the habitat and style of hunting that best fits you in those local units.

I figured it might be too broad. I had hoped several guys had seen all areas and can advise which they prefer, or what the good and bass are. The one time in snowy range was pretty dense forest So I assumed not much opportunity to use optics at distance. In that area is it better farther west you go 110,13,21? Wilderness areas best places? Does a guy want be by borders on limited quota units or private? 27,98,97 have Grizzly bears? It'll be an archery hunt in Sept, is it better usually early or later? Do they talk much in general or stay quiet w all pressure?

Welcome, if i had some more info might be able to help but tag status residency and fitness all matter in choices. I will tell you date wise around 20th is about best but last year killed my wy bull on 5th and it was nuts, 6+ bulls screaming till noonish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back