Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

wy. antelope

mont.John

O.K. guys if you had max. points for Antelope in WY. what unit would you try for? Been looking at the red desert area (60.61.57.58.) I'v never been there just looking at the wy. reg's. would like to use my points this year. Thanks J.C.

Best set of horns I ever saw in WY was in area 61 about 15 miles South of Bairoil, but that was in 1975. Don't know much about the area anymore, other than it is pretty tough to draw..

Those are the areas, pick one. In the past, 57 would have been the one, but I hunted all of them over the years, and all had great antelope in them.

Tarheel, DrH. Thanks for the reply I"m looking at the # of tags and the draw odds maybe the unit with low tags and higher draw odds. J.C.

You could flip a coin as far as the quality of those units. Perhaps logistics would narrow it down. For example available hotels and campgrounds verses driving distance. Or if you want to camp and want privacy pick units with more remote access. I don't think you could make a bad decision on this. I would call the game wardens that service those units if you don't have any contacts to give you updated info. I am very jealous. Good luck

what does "max. points" mean? where I come from you can keep getting points year after year.

Wyoming's non-resident point system has been in place for nine years. If you have been in it from the beginning and have not yet drawn a first choice tag, you have nine points; or max points.

Thanks Randy... now I get it. I have seen the max points term used on here many times and did not understand what that meant. I guess I am a little behind the 8 ball since I only have 6 points for WY antelope. I should have seven but I forgot to put in for a point before going on vacation a couple years ago and figured it out after I returned home and it was too late.

Drew and hunted 58 the first year they started points. Great hunt. Tons of lopes. Never been in bow range spot and stalk of so many lopes over 4 days ever. Surreal.

Anywhere in the Red Desert ought to be pretty good. Knock on wood...so far it's been a decent winter. I hunted 64 last year. I probably looked over at least 700 different bucks. Historically 64 has produced some outstanding bucks. I thought it would be a good year for horn growth with the great fall/spring moisture but hardly saw a buck close to 80". 2014 sounded like a pretty tough year in most units but there were still a few scattered monster bucks harvested. I drove through 60 on the way to 64 several times and saw some decent bucks but not near as many antelope. I didn't see 1 hunter in 60 and saw a number of hunters in 64. If you want any info about 64 send me a pm. Every year is a little different for horn growth so hopefully you pick a year when there are more whoppers! Right now a lot Central-South Wyo is going through a "recovery" phase from drought that likely impacted fawn crop and horn growth. If you take a look at antelope quotas in 2011 vs 2014 you will see exactly what I mean. Obviously if you draw a great unit and hunt hard you will likely do well. Eli's photos of Wyo bucks harvested this year is a good sign that there are some great bucks available if you are willing to put in the time and boot leather!

Thanks again for all the replys I'v not been able to get on this site for a few weeks working on Kodiak Is. for a few months then back to Montana.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back