Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wow

These baseball and basketball salaries are just stupid. Least amount of physical contact and long term physical wear and tear… highest salaries. Yet football and hockey guys (sans QBs) are playing for far less

Ohtani is awesome. I honestly thought he could be the first to $1B on a 12 yr. IMO they’ll make quite a bit back in valuation and sales. I don’t like the Dodgers but the Angels were a dead end for him.

Ohtani is awesome. I honestly thought he could be the first to $1B on a 12 yr. IMO they’ll make quite a bit back in valuation and sales. I don’t like the Dodgers but the Angels were a dead end for him.
I get a kick out of the "they get paid too much" crowd. High paid athletes are the best in the WORLD. The world is a big place. Wish I was good at baseball. mtmuley

Hopefully he comes back and can start. If not, I’m sure he’d still work out of the pen, and he can play really good OF, so there is plenty of value in that

"Attendance numbers returned to pre-pandemic levels league-wide, but few teams were as happy about that as the Dodgers. LA's original franchise welcomed nearly 3.9 million fans in 2022, easily leading MLB. The Cardinals and the Yankees rounded out the top three teams, but trailed the Dodgers by over 600,000 and 800,000 fans, respectively. Thanks to their league-leading attendance numbers, LA also led MLB teams in gate receipt revenue, narrowly beating out the Yankees for the top spot."

Screenshot_20231210-045009.png

I didn't realize the Dodgers exceed all MLB teams. The Cardinals and Yankees round the top three and they lag behind the Dodgers by a large quantity! Wow!

It clears some of the fog understanding the income and additional $70mil per year for a single player!

Again, Wow! Understatement of 2023! Haha!

That’s a lot of money but I always come back to the thought “why should only the owners get rich”?

Selfishly, I won’t miss him in the American League 😉

Sounds like some of you losers should stop complaining, and learn how to lay off the slider.

While my dream of the Mariners signing Ohtani is officially dead, the dream of Ohtani buying the Mariners has just begun.

Can’t fault him for the contract, he seems like a decent guy and is unreal to watch.

Yeah it is a disguising amount of money, but overpaid? Not sure about that, not if the Dodgers make money on the decision in the long run. He works in the entertainment industry, and he apparently has a unique ability entertain in baseball that no one else has. A lot of people in Asia have TVs and buy stuff too, have to imagine his off the field value is crazy to the Dodgers as well.

Good for him.

Last edited:
Can’t fault him for the contract, he seems like a decent guy and is unreal to watch.

Yeah it is a disguising amount of money, but overpaid? Not sure about that, not if the Dodgers make money on the decision in the long run. He works in the entertainment industry, and he apparently has a unique ability entertain in baseball that no one else has. A lot of people in Asia have TVs and buy stuff too, have to imagine his off the field value is crazy to the Dodgers as well.

Good for him.
Bingo. Also saw that someone did the figures for inflation and tax rate for CA and it’s more like the equivalent of 500 mil or somewhere in that neighborhood

Good for him.
Sure, good for him, can't fault him or his agents! Overpaid? Absolutely, minimum salary for MLB player is $720k/yr. All those guys are overpaid for what they actually do and for how long they and frequent they "work". Talk about big deer in the Rocky Mtns, the Dodgers apparently have the big BUCKS!! I assume that money will be "earned" by the franchise in out years??

All those guys are overpaid for what they actually do and for how long they and frequent they "work".

Should a baseball player make more than a soldier, policeman, nurse or teacher? I certainly wish they didn’t.

But from a purely economic perspective, I do not agree that they are overpaid. The teams continue to rake in money and increase in value for a reason, as head-scratching as it may be.

Should a baseball player make more than a soldier, policeman, nurse or teacher? I certainly wish they didn’t.

But from a purely economic perspective, I do not agree that they are overpaid. The teams continue to rake in money and increase in value for a reason, as head-scratching as it may be.
Economic perspective? Who's...the franchise? It's the beer and popcorn guy with an Ohtani tee shirt that can barely afford to buy a game ticket that's funding some of that salary. I guess we're the stupid ones. My take is if one is ...if one buys a ticket to watch the Dodgers, they should not complain. Ohtani is amazing to watch...even on TV.

Economic perspective? Who's...the franchise? It's the beer and popcorn guy with an Ohtani tee shirt that can barely afford to buy a game ticket that's funding some of that salary. I guess we're the stupid ones. My take is if one is ...if one buys a ticket to watch the Dodgers, they should not complain. Ohtani is amazing to watch...even on TV.

That's almost more of a problem with capitalism than it is MLB?

A couple random thoughts-

It's not the family coming to the stadium once a year that's paying these salaries, it's the millions of people that pay for cable packages, and the ads that get to play 162 nights a year in everyone's living room.

750k is a ton of money. However, 75% of these guys are not guaranteed that salary. That's prorated when they're on the active roster. Add in that they literally don't know where they'll live 10 months out of the year, and they have to constantly be finding non-leased housing in cities like NYC and SF.

Going to games is really not that crazy expensive, compared to everything else these days. I've never had issues finding tickets for 20-50 bucks. At least in Seattle you're allowed to bring your own food in also if you don't want to buy a 15 dollar pretzel.

Also, go to a MiLB or indy game if you don't want to pay MLB prices. There's thousands of games to attend for ~5-10 bucks where you still get to enjoy the sport and watch dudes that have dedicated their life to perfecting it.

Back