Caribou Gear

wood stain for bleached antler bases

Dougfirtree

So, I'm doing a euro for a friend and the antler bases got pretty bleached during whitening. I read that Minwax Provincial woodstain was the perfect color to touch it up and I'd have to say that's true. However, the stain adds a shine to the bases that doesn't match. I've played around with steel wool and it helps, but hasn't truly fixed it. Before I start playing with more aggressive dulling tools, does anyone have a great trick for getting rid of the shine?

Thanks!

So, I'm doing a euro for a friend and the antler bases got pretty bleached during whitening. I read that Minwax Provincial woodstain was the perfect color to touch it up and I'd have to say that's true. However, the stain adds a shine to the bases that doesn't match. I've played around with steel wool and it helps, but hasn't truly fixed it. Before I start playing with more aggressive dulling tools, does anyone have a great trick for getting rid of the shine?

Thanks!
I have never had the stain end up with too much shine. I usually end up putting a light layer of polyurethane on it to make it shine a little more, or at least evenly, and protect the antler from deterioration. However, they make a poly in flat, so you might want to try that. The stain typically soaks in quite a bit so you can't sand away the color, but I try to avoid drastic measures like that until a last resort. My only thought is that with steel wool it might take quite a bit of elbow grease. Or a dremel with a buff attachment and picking the right material?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back