Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wolves kill more hounds

Since the topic has changed to what some call snares, I'll chime in.

I have no idea what the regs in the western states are around cables, but I'll tell a little of what I know, and have used.

Many who use them, prefer to call them cable restraints. A cable restraint can be set up with a relaxing lock so when the animal stops pulling it loosens slightly. Many times, a " break away" is required to avoid holding larger non target catches, such as deer and cattle. A stop can be added to the cable to restrict how small the loop can close, another stop can be added to restrict how large the loop can be. Several swivels and a solid anchor help to prevent entanglement. What many refer to as snares, have evolved alot in the last hundred years. When used properly, with the right training, and education they can be a fantastic management tool. Anyone who has done much trapping in cold weather can tell you how hard it is to keep a canine set working. Add a foot or more of snow to the equation, and things become nearly impossible. The health and safety of both target, and non target animals, is of course a major priority. I see no reason why they wouldn't be an excellent tool for winter wolf management.

True story cur, + you can use deflectors attached to the snares some big game move them out of the way.

Like I said before, maybe in a few years.

I am in CO and hunt fairly close to the WY border. I can tell you that in our camp and the area we hunt wolves would have a hard time making it out of the AO. Coyotes are already expected to be removed. We only were able to get 2 this year but we saw at least 10. Herd them in every drainage. Since I saw the story about the young guy that was killed while out for a walk (Kenton Carnegie) I will never give the benefit of the doubt. Just me.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back