Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wolves kill more hounds

I didn't sense a lot of care or concern from the FWP folks. They seem to have adopted an attitude that living in Montana comes with the risk of wolf attacks and loss, and thats ok. I guess I am confused as to why this concept would be deemed acceptable. Sorry to hear about the loss of the dogs. Hopefully a better management plan will someday evolve.

Tim

I didn't sense a lot of care or concern from the FWP folks. They seem to have adopted an attitude that living in Montana comes with the risk of wolf attacks and loss, and thats ok. I guess I am confused as to why this concept would be deemed acceptable. Sorry to hear about the loss of the dogs. Hopefully a better management plan will someday evolve.

Tim

They do care its just taken some time to get things through legislation to open up more on the management by way of hunting and trapping.

Sad news for the hounds and their owners. I do agree with the statement in the article that trappers need to be allowed to use snares.

Does anyone have a total for the number of hounds killed this year by wolves?

I don't know what the numbers are, but just east of Hamilton, yesterday, a few more were killed. Right in front of the outfitter. They had pistols instead of a long gun, and weren't sure if they hit any of the wolves. The hounds had bells attached to no avail.

During breeding season it's a crap shoot to run lions.

No matter where I am, if the wolf season is open and I'm out there, I have a rifle. I am still packing my primary hunting rifle in my truck until the 28th. You just never know when the opportunity will arise. mtmuley

Are any of the hound guys considering running a different breed of dog and more numbers to possibly fend off a wolf attack? Seems like running hounds is going to have to evolve

Amen,Mtmuley. Company doesn't allow guns in co vehicles, But I carry a takedown just for wolves incase. Have seen them just outside Lincoln and I hear there is at least one snow white one in the area. Have seen a shepard colored one but couldn't get a good shot. And I hunt them on days off to no avail.....YET. I WILL TAG ONE! Off to Alice Creek drainage Wed with only 2 hrs nap! Need to take one! Can sleep when I die...............

I haven't heard of any issue with snares in Idaho. They flat get the job done.

You're not talking to the right people then. One of the more "enviro" sites ran an article last week on non target catch. A fair number of the big game being caught and killed in the article are probably in wolf snares. I'd also guess that the non targets being reported, espcially lions and whitetails, are well under whats actually being caught.

I haven't heard of any issue with snares in Idaho. They flat get the job done.

Montana has taken more wolves than Idaho, without the use of snares this year.

Can you imagine the amount of snare sets there would be if legal?

Footloose would have all the ammo that they would need to end trapping on public lands here if snares were legal for wolves. :rolleyes:

Maybe some day.

Since the topic has changed to what some call snares, I'll chime in.

I have no idea what the regs in the western states are around cables, but I'll tell a little of what I know, and have used.

Many who use them, prefer to call them cable restraints. A cable restraint can be set up with a relaxing lock so when the animal stops pulling it loosens slightly. Many times, a " break away" is required to avoid holding larger non target catches, such as deer and cattle. A stop can be added to the cable to restrict how small the loop can close, another stop can be added to restrict how large the loop can be. Several swivels and a solid anchor help to prevent entanglement. What many refer to as snares, have evolved alot in the last hundred years. When used properly, with the right training, and education they can be a fantastic management tool. Anyone who has done much trapping in cold weather can tell you how hard it is to keep a canine set working. Add a foot or more of snow to the equation, and things become nearly impossible. The health and safety of both target, and non target animals, is of course a major priority. I see no reason why they wouldn't be an excellent tool for winter wolf management.

You're not talking to the right people then. One of the more "enviro" sites ran an article last week on non target catch. A fair number of the big game being caught and killed in the article are probably in wolf snares. I'd also guess that the non targets being reported, espcially lions and whitetails, are well under whats actually being caught.
I know right?
If you follow the law and the recommended practices in the wolf trapping class its very unlikely you will end up with a deer in you're set. We just need everyone to do that.

Montana has taken more wolves than Idaho, without the use of snares this year.

Can you imagine the amount of snare sets there would be if legal?

Footloose would have all the ammo that they would need to end trapping on public lands here if snares were legal for wolves. :rolleyes:

Maybe some day.
Congratulations, show offs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back