Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wolves in Nevada???

How many wolves have you shot Buzz? I am not trying to stir pot but would like to know. I have shot 2 which is pretty poor considering our local wolf population
Zero and I don't bitch about them non stop either. If I get the chance I would shoot one, always have a tag.

All the tough talk by the sky is falling crowd and they never hunt them and most probably never buy a tag.

Is it just because wolves are a topic that elicits a visceral response? Not sure what happened to this thread, but it really has been disappointing.

Is it just because wolves are a topic that elicits a visceral response? Not sure what happened to this thread, but it really has been disappointing.
Yes, too much little red riding hood.

People worry about wolves eating all the deer and elk...meanwhile lions are as prolific as they've been in my lifetime.

Idaho study on predation showed lions are the leading predator. Same with the. Bitterroot calf mortality study.

But it's the big bad wolf.

I wish it were a lion that was disguised as Grandma in that story.

Yes, too much little red riding hood.

People worry about wolves eating all the deer and elk...meanwhile lions are as prolific as they've been in my lifetime.

Idaho study on predation showed lions are the leading predator. Same with the. Bitterroot calf mortality study.

But it's the big bad wolf.

I wish it were a lion that was disguised as Grandma in that story.
Nevada’s lion season is year round.

Unless you were running them with dogs (now illegal), folks hardly ever saw one here in the Western Wa.lowlands. I’ve seen more in the last ten years than the previous 25. Just chance sightings while hunting deer or elk. I’ve actually seen 2 on my property while having coffee early in the morning. I get the same story from pretty much everyone around here.

Nevada’s lion season is year round.
And they still out number wolves by a landslide.

Lions are eating your lunch, and big game while everyone is going batchit crazy about 4 wolves.

Same in Wyoming, same in Idaho, same in Montana, etc.

Zero and I don't bitch about them non stop either. If I get the chance I would shoot one, always have a tag.

All the tough talk by the sky is falling crowd and they never hunt them and most probably never buy a tag.
A semi local influencer/pro hunter/industry person to men loves to complain about wolves all the time. He has never killed a wolf and if I had to guess has probably never really hunted for them. I listened to him the other day on a podcast trying to blame wolves for all sorts of elk declines but the guest was smarter than him, didn’t take the bait and instead discussed a number of other factors that are probably more critical

He also likes to gripe about non residents killing all our local deer and shooting too many small bucks; from my experience in the area residents kill way more deer and especially tiny bucks. Also funny to me that he hunts 2 or 3 other states every year but he must not be a problem when he does it

Wolves have been around, but this is the first confirmed sighting by NDOW in Elko county that I can recall. I guess time will tell if they move with the migrating herds or if they are residents.

Unless you were running them with dogs (now illegal), folks hardly ever saw one here in the Western Wa.lowlands. I’ve seen more in the last ten years than the previous 25. Just chance sightings while hunting deer or elk. I’ve actually seen 2 on my property while having coffee early in the morning. I get the same story from pretty much everyone around here.
Thats the problem most hunters have with any predator, they need to be managed. Most hunters wont complain about predators if they are PROPERLY managed. Think about the increase in your lion population since they outlawed dogs(the only effective way to manage cats). 52 deer per year per lion. Wolves were dumped into Idaho, Montana and Wyoming and at least Idaho for sure opposed it but the feds did it anyways. Then through the courts they constantly stopped any management of wolves in Idaho. Constantly moving the goal posts to 10 times the original minimum population. Those of us who hunted areas for decades and saw what uncontolled wolves do to elk herds have a hard time not telling the next state what it looks like. Idaho is fine because we agressively manage wolves. Some of the wilderness areas like the selway will probably never come back because access is just to difficult to effectively trap and hunt wolves consistently. I kind of like having wolves IF we are allowed to manage them. But Idaho just got sued and part of the trapping season was closed down this month. It is irritating as hell when people down play that wolves eat a lot of elk. I dont like being told I cant believe my own eyes. My other pet peeve is if you accurately point out what wolves do to ungulates somebody always says you must be a shitty elk hunter lol. I usually get at least 1 elk every year but I also realize how devastating wolves are to ungulates. I would say moose are first to go then elk then deer. Not sure why you would be dissapointed in the thread? New state starts to acknowledge some wolves, what should the conversation look like? I think the 3 states with wolves for 30 years should be saying here is what to expect. It makes sense to learn from people who have gone before you. I am going wolf hunting.

There have been confirmed sightings in the state since 2016, and unconfirmed sightings earlier than that. Mostly Washoe and Elko counties. I'm sure there have been a few that followed the 3S rule, and nobody ever heard about it.
I'm thinking Washoe County wolves might come from the same DNA strain as the Kalispell, MT ones.
Did Amber Rose Barnes move to Reno?

1711923568880.png

Last edited:
A semi local influencer/pro hunter/industry person to men loves to complain about wolves all the time. He has never killed a wolf and if I had to guess has probably never really hunted for them. I listened to him the other day on a podcast trying to blame wolves for all sorts of elk declines but the guest was smarter than him, didn’t take the bait and instead discussed a number of other factors that are probably more critical

He also likes to gripe about non residents killing all our local deer and shooting too many small bucks; from my experience in the area residents kill way more deer and especially tiny bucks. Also funny to me that he hunts 2 or 3 other states every year but he must not be a problem when he does it
Do tell.

Most of the Ranchers in Montana hate Bison, SSS all Bison? Dumb hypocritical tribalism at play.

Another Great one that's bound to show up pretty soon. "Our ancestors killed them off for a reason". Always amazed me, as our forefathers killed off everything.

Sure glad this mentality wasn't around like this when our other forefathers started bring back all those animals from the brink.

I'm glad for all this diversity.

This was just as easy to find as the nonsense you posted.

Just being glib about Renoites, Paul. I'm Swope class of 1974. Reno is a bit bigger now than it was then.

Right, anything tough to do, you're out.

Typical.

I'm disappointed you have no advice. There was your chance to tell me how to get things done in Oregon.

A news article from December 2023 has the ODFW indicating NE Oregon is saturated with wolves and they'll be moving west and south.

I'm sure Nevada has more wolves than they officially count and more from Oregon will be trickling into that state. Or down from Oregon into California, then over to NV. Maybe they'll hit some slots in Winnemucca.

>>>State biologists say Oregon’s gray wolf population may have reached its ecological limit in the eastern third of the state and that packs will probably spread out to the west and south in greater numbers.

Those comments, made at a meeting of the state Fish and Wildlife Commission, came as Colorado released five wolves trapped from Oregon as part of a historic reintroduction program.

Roblyn Brown, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife’s wolf coordinator, told ranchers and conservationists last week that about 200 gray wolves in nearly 25 packs call Oregon home. She said their numbers have leveled off in recent years because most wolves live in northeast Oregon, an area that’s becoming crowded for the species.

After hearing from wildlife officials, ranchers, hunters and conservationists, the commission decided not to reform the state’s wolf management plan, a hard-fought set of rules and regulations that took four years to hammer out due to disagreements about state-approved wolf kills and attacks on livestock.

Instances of both are on the rise. Investigators confirmed that wolves killed 76 privately-owned livestock last year, compared to 16 in 2019.

The agency authorized the killing of 16 wolves so far this year, according to agency data compiled by the Western Environmental Law Center, a conservation advocacy group. That’s up from an average of less than four wolves each year from 2019 to 2022. The agency killed six gray wolves in six weeks this summer, to the anger of conservationists.

Sristi Kamal, deputy director of the Western Environmental Law Center, said the wildlife agency is over-relying on legal wolf killings to protect livestock. “They are now choosing very heavily to engage in lethal,” she said.

Tuers-Lance said the federal law is hamstringing the agency’s efforts to protect livestock from the Rogue wolf pack in southern Oregon, which has preyed on livestock more than 60 times from 2016 to 2022, according to agency data.

She said experiments with non-lethal deterrents and new technology haven’t worked, and ranchers are spending “unsustainable amounts of time trying to prevent conflict.”<<<<

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back