Wolf populations drop! Idaho

That is good news. At least they are getting some kind of a handle on those killing machines. They are truly a sustainable resource when managed properly-just like any other animal.

The story ran in the local rag this week as well. Looks like a successful management plan taking shape.

I hope its true..but doubt it is. I don't think that you can get an accurate count of wolves. 1year of a low count means nothing to me. 2or3 years of a downward trend would make me believe.
On a side note I watched one for a few minutes this weekend, ugly grey/black bastard 1/2mi away with only a pistol for protection and a 7 mouth old lab as bait. Saw a big black bear also...

I hope its true..but doubt it is. I don't think that you can get an accurate count of wolves. 1year of a low count means nothing to me. 2or3 years of a downward trend would make me believe.
On a side note I watched one for a few minutes this weekend, ugly grey/black bastard 1/2mi away with only a pistol for protection and a 7 mouth old lab as bait. Saw a big black bear also...

The trend is downward. These are IDF&G numbers. You can read the report here if you want to understand the numbers: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/wolves/reportAnnual12.pdf

Year - Wolves
2009 - 856
2010 - 777
2011 - 746
2012 - 683

683 is approximately the amount of wolves the state in 2006.

I won't get excited yet. There's no way to truly know the number of wolves out there. I'm sure there's more in both Montana and Idaho then the surveys show. Wolves are just going to get to be harder and harder to hunt. I'll be happy when you can bait and snare. Now that would make a dent.

Wolves are probably the most closely monitored species in the lower 48 right now. From scientific, to depredation, to hunting, to NGOs...I'm guessing their counts are very accurate.

That said the trend makes sense. They spiked, ungulates decreased, hunting opened up and now they are going to level off....until a state legislature decides to put the management plans at risk.

I won't get excited yet. There's no way to truly know the number of wolves out there. I'm sure there's more in both Montana and Idaho then the surveys show. Wolves are just going to get to be harder and harder to hunt. I'll be happy when you can bait and snare. Now that would make a dent.
I'm sure that the more that they get hunted the more people shy the will become.
Can that make them harder to count? If they run for the timber every time they hear a vehicle now will they run into heavy timber everytime they hear a helicopter?
Every change is a new variable to account for.
I think f&g does there best to get accurate # and hope they are factoring in all the variables.
Redundant redundancy.

Last edited:
The #'s are probably manufactured so they can lower the amout to kill next year. I whouldn't trust em......BOB!

Ok, gotcha, trust is out the window. Now what do we do? Ask them to double the amounts to kill. Oh wait, there's no limit. If they cut no limit in half, then half of no known number is what?

They are sly devils!:confused:

Ok, gotcha, trust is out the window. Now what do we do? Ask them to double the amounts to kill. Oh wait, there's no limit. If they cut no limit in half, then half of no known number is what?

They are sly devils!:confused:

Since the numbers above pertain to Idaho, we do have a limit on how many wolves can be shot/trapped. There is no limit on the number of tags sold. There is always a possibility they could reduce the number of wolves allowed to be harvested. I dont suspect that will be the case next year, especially since they extended some of the seasons into late spring.

Since the numbers above pertain to Idaho, we do have a limit on how many wolves can be shot/trapped. There is no limit on the number of tags sold. There is always a possibility they could reduce the number of wolves allowed to be harvested. I dont suspect that will be the case next year, especially since they extended some of the seasons into late spring.

There's no limits on the number of wolves killed in 8 of 13 wolf hunting districts. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back