Caribou Gear Tarp

Wolf Hunt closed in 30 counties

Ben Lamb

At least MT has a legal hunting season...and a quota to hunt.

How's that wolf hunting season in MN going?

At least MT has a legal hunting season...and a quota to hunt.

How's that wolf hunting season in MN going?

We just have those little timberwolves, not the 300lb, fire breathing beasts that decimated the elk herds and stole babies from their cribs in the West :D

In MN we are a Democrat controlled state so we do things a little differently. We have a wolf problem but instead of allowing sportsmen to purchase licenses and bring revenue into the state we hire trappers to thin them out. Then, when times get tough, like now, we drop the wolf trapping program ( too save money) and let the wolf population run its natural course. At the current pace I believe we will be wolf free within 10 years. Of course we wont have any deer or moose or elk either. Personally I cant wait for this "pig bomb" to hit MN so we have something we can hunt again.

In MN we are a Democrat controlled state so we do things a little differently. We have a wolf problem but instead of allowing sportsmen to purchase licenses and bring revenue into the state we hire trappers to thin them out. Then, when times get tough, like now, we drop the wolf trapping program ( too save money) and let the wolf population run its natural course. At the current pace I believe we will be wolf free within 10 years. Of course we wont have any deer or moose or elk either. Personally I cant wait for this "pig bomb" to hit MN so we have something we can hunt again.

You really don't want the pigs. They're worse than anything except subdivisions on wildlife habitat.

You can work to change the MN wolf management plan to include hunting. Can't for the life of me figure out why folks wouldn't have mandated that in their USFWS recovery plan.

You can work to change the MN wolf management plan to include hunting. Can't for the life of me figure out why folks wouldn't have mandated that in their USFWS recovery plan.

Agreed. I talked about that with my brother who lives way north, in Wolf Central. You guys were rolled over when the plan was developed and adopted. Looks like the committee members must have all be from south of Highway 2 and residents of Ramsey County. When the committee was appointed, the skids were greased to reduce hunting as part of the management strategy.

Surprised how many MN hunters I talk to who have not even read their wolf recovery plan. Maybe that is due to their feeling of being left out from the beginning or feeling helpless about whether their efforts would result in any change. Given you guys have one of the higher rates of hunting and fishing participation, I suspect an organized movement would gain the attention of the politcal powers.

You guys need to put pressure on the powers to be, to get that changed and add more hunting focus to your management plan. As it is right now, hunting is almost a left over after thought.

You have as many wolves as MT and ID combined. The MN Deer Hunters Assoc. needs to get on the stick and put pressure on your Federal and State delegation to get this mess sorted out. Seems to me that getting a wolf hunting season in MN would be a good idea for MN hunters and any hunter organizations able to get that ball across the goal line.

Good luck with that. Glad to be from Northern MN, but glad to not be there now and dealing with the unattended wolf mess your enlightened leaders have left you with.

I don't know many sportsmen in MN outside the Range that see wolves as a problem. Even when I lived and hunted north of Duluth they only get mentioned when talking about the decline of the moose population. I personally dont think the wolf issue has traction in MN like it does/did in MT, WY, and or ID. The MN Deer Association should take up the cause but I wouldnt hold my breath

From what I understand they are too busy fighting crossbows to worry about wolves.

Last edited:
Right or wrong you can bet a lot of wolves will hit the dirt this weekend in the Wisconsin deer opener. A lot of hunters view them as big coyotes

Right or wrong you can bet a lot of wolves will hit the dirt this weekend in the Wisconsin deer opener. A lot of hunters view them as big coyotes

Silly you... there are no wolves here....;)

However, a cougar has been spotted not too far from here and there are warnings for the hunters all over the news - What next, Elk in Wisconsin ??

:D

Silly you... there are no wolves here....;)

However, a cougar has been spotted not too far from here and there are warnings for the hunters all over the news - What next, Elk in Wisconsin ??

:D

There are probably more cougars than elk in the state at this point.

The closure also includes Silver Bow, Cascade, Meagher, Gallatin, Park, Judith Basin, Wheatland, Sweet Grass, Stillwater, Carbon, Golden Valley, Fergus, Petroleum, Musselshell, Yellowstone, Big Horn, Treasure, Rosebud, Garfield, McCone, Prairie, Custer, Powder River, Carter, Fallon, Wibaux, Dawson and Richland counties.

Some of those counties even have wolves....cool.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back