Winter Coyote Calling

Coop

How would you all go about calling public land coyotes that have been seeing some pressure? I know breeding season won't be starting for about another month, and I am sure that they have all heard the rabbit in distress calls. I have been having luck with mixes of locators and challenge calls but a lot seem to hang up just before they're in sight. Thanks!

Just gota give up and go home.

There pairing up now maybe running in groups of 3 old male, female and a young mail.
Got to Pi$$ them off, do some aggressive challenges then a pup in distress seam to make them come in to watch
someone get there but kicked . Don't leave to soon there coming in slow.

Spotlighting is legal in MT although I have only done it once without a whole lot of luck. As far as calling at night, are distress calls more effective, or coyote vocals like Coyotes-R-Us mentioned?

Thanks again guys.

Our coyotes are very pressured here in Minnesota and I have my best luck at night with a bright moon. Get out there and try sounds that you don’t think others use. I called one in last night on the full moon at -15, I also think the colder the better.

Spotlighting is legal in MT although I have only done it once without a whole lot of luck. As far as calling at night, are distress calls more effective, or coyote vocals like Coyotes-R-Us mentioned?

Thanks again guys.

Either will work. One trick is to wait until the coyotes start howling and then reply back. It usually works a lot better than blind calling.

I use different sounds (vole squeeks, fox pup distress ect). Try hunting deeper in the woods also. I have found that a lot of dogs just won't come in if your hunting fields or cut outs. They feel better closing in with cover.

I try to mix up my calling. Starting with a locator, move to a distress (rabbit etc.), then use a sound to authenticate the action (bird call or other opportunist sound that will make the Yote think the event is real) and then another Yote call (usually a bark). Just trying to make it as real as possible, making them feel challenged, and then making it too good to be true!1st Coyote.jpg

Back