Windmills and Eagles

I'm not sure what can be done with these windmills, but they are responsible for a lot of bird deaths across the country. I look at these wind farms as being equivalent to the electric cars, they solve one problem and create another.

"the company's failure to take steps to protect eagles or to obtain permits to kill the birds gave it an advantage over competitors"

Didn't know you could get a permit to kill eagles. Sounds like the government is mad they didn't get their fee. I bet now that they've paid there 8 million they'll be able to kill all the eagles they want without interference.

I passed this article on to a buddy of mine that works for a company that tracks eagles, hawks, etc around wind farms on behalf of the energy companies. Said they had been working on a work contract with NextEra but it stalled due to "legal issues".

Didn't know you could get a permit to kill eagles.
Eagles and ESA species, you have to get a "take permit" through consultation, there's no fee if you do it proper to start with, just when you get busted for cheating.

Eagles and ESA species, you have to get a "take permit" through consultation, there's no fee if you do it proper to start with, just when you get busted for cheating.
Sounds like a scam to get that "slow" cousin we all have a cushy job counting dead birds. Do you know if sights get a maximum amount of take permits? Would a sight be shutdown if it exceeded that? I understand getting a consultation before installing a sight to insure it's not in a bad spot like nesting areas, migration paths, etc. But after it's built what good would a consultant be other then counting dead birds?

What's the limit in CA on streamers? ; )

#inconvenient
The windmills have been killing eagles and other birds for decades, but 'clean' energy is more fashionable than saving birds of prey...

Remember that time Land Tawney said BHA should support public land industrial development...

Meanwhile guys on my team are checking a red tail hawk nest every couple of weeks before we start drilling. (Which I think is the right move, and I support) 🤦‍♂️

Take permits for eagles or eagle nests are not a simple matter to get. Also not a guarantee you will be granted that permit. Red tails are a different matter all together. I deal this an unbelievable amount of raptor issues at work. It is not a small matter and shouldn't be.

Wasn’t a raptor timing/buffer stip known when parcel was leased?
Absolutely. I also mentioned this on the gas thread (Biden threatening to penalize companies who aren't drilling permits).

(Over simplification)

When you take a fed lease there are Wildlife stipulations in the lease itself. We get data about where past netting sites/leks/migration corridors are so you can try to plan around them in a broad sense. Then in the case of nests, you go out with the BLM to the site and actually see if the nest is occupied and if occupied have to wait until the birds leave.

Given the number of stipulations, virtually every well drilled on fed lands is going to be dealing with some sort of stip.

Here are all the stips turned on together for an area (red) lol

But yeah fines for everyone if we don't slam in a shit load of new wells 🤦‍♂️
1649345303590.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that time Land Tawney said BHA should support public land industrial development...

Meanwhile guys on my team are checking a red tail hawk nest every couple of weeks before we start drilling. (Which I think is the right move, and I support) 🤦‍♂️

Honestly, I don't care much for Land's positions on things like that. He might be a nice guy, but activism in lieu of real world experience on a resume does not impress me. I trust the field biologists much more. Being a wind energy supporter looks nice on paper, but in reality it's no more 'green' than anything else, it has a very ugly side.

This is what the CA wind farms have looked like for 30+ years, if you were a bird would you want to fly through there?
1649345923120.png

...and when they break, since they aren't recycleable, just bury them in Wyoming!
1649346390577.png

Last edited:
We have wind farms north of where I live, large site but scattered compared to Luke's pics.
Site is overlooking the Horicon Marsh. Brother in law lives close, never really mentioned dead birds, but seems like after they're up for a year, they're down for repairs.

We have wind farms north of where I live, large site but scattered compared to Luke's pics.
Site is overlooking the Horicon Marsh. Brother in law lives close, never really mentioned dead birds, but seems like after they're up for a year, they're down for repairs.
Coal fired power plants don't run at 100% utilization either. Everything breaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back