Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wind Max?

VikingsGuy

There is a lot posted about knowing your distance limit. Some say don't shoot past your mbpr, some say don't shoot further than you have practiced, some pick a useful but arbitrary cut-off such as 300 yards or 400 yard. Personally I have set my max hunting distance at 350yds. But for me, with turrets, rangefinders and BDCs, etc, elevation assessment and adjustment is much more predictable/manageable/comfortable than the horizontal wind effects beyond 20mph.

Is there a comparable concept for wind? Is there a maximum effective crosswind that where folks draw a line? Is it just by gut sense and experience, is it a certain calculated amount of windage? For example, does anyone say, "at 25mph wind I typically won't take a shot beyond 100 yds", or, "I won't take any shot that requires more than a target body-length of windage adjustment"?

I have a Nikon BDC scope on my 30-06. I tried at 400 yards. Dead on hold with my 400 yard circle in a 10 mph was 12" so. I was impressed. Next shot, I held the circle to the left and was right some still.

I haven't taken a long shot in the (strong) wind. Longest on game has been about 350 anyway. I will just work a different way around it than try to shoot in a cross wind.

I have done my best to practice in multiple different wind speed and I have found that out to 500yrds , shooting my 300 win mag, I have a consistent drift per every 10 mph of wind.
The heavier bullets did help buck the wind some, but not enough at 500 and less to be much of an advantage in my rifle and caliber.
I'm getting a 5" drift for every 10 mph of wind speed shooting a 180gr. Bullet. That is at 500yrds and only around 2" drift at 300.
Those numbers were with Accubond and now I'm shooting the 178gr. ELD-X bullet with practically the same results. I shot in up to 35 mph winds and feel that it might get tuff to shoot in anything blowing over 40.

Practice with your caliber and bullet combination is the only way to know your dope distance for compensation and some serious range time is required to get it figured out.
This is in my opinion the most important factor for total confidence in the field.

I have only taken the time to gather this information with two of my rifles and really only have enough data from practice with one. My 300 is the one I know the best and is my distance rifle of choice.
The other caliber I was running was a .270 and it became apparent quickly that wind effected it drastically more. So, calibers will very and it will likely be your experience at the range that tells you your limitations.

I looked up the average wind for buffalo Wyoming. Supposedly the average October is under 6 mph. I don't shoot a 300, but a 308 with the Hornady 178gn eld-x. So far with handloads they are the best bullet I have shot, better then the smk's. They are very predictable and seem to handle the wind well. Iam bringing about 150 handloads out to Wyoming and getting there a day early and plan on shooting atleast 100 at ranges out to 600 to double check my dope. If they perform as exspected I wouldn't hesitate shooting a lope at 600 in 15 mph wind. I use a wind meter. If they don't perform like a think they will I will limit it to whatever yardage I think I can hold 8 inches.

I'm getting a 5" drift for every 10 mph of wind speed shooting a 180gr. Bullet. That is at 500yrds and only around 2" drift at 300.
Those numbers were with Accubond and now I'm shooting the 178gr. ELD-X bullet with practically the same results.
Interesting as that's quite different from what JBM is showing for the 180 Accubond using Litz's BC. I've no idea what your velocity is, so I used the highest one from the Nosler Load Data, which is 3160 fps. JBM shows 5" drift at 300 and 15" at 500 with a 10 mph full value wind. Give or take a bit depending on altitude, temp, etc.

I looked up the average wind for buffalo Wyoming. Supposedly the average October is under 6 mph. I don't shoot a 300, but a 308 with the Hornady 178gn eld-x. So far with handloads they are the best bullet I have shot, better then the smk's. They are very predictable and seem to handle the wind well. Iam bringing about 150 handloads out to Wyoming and getting there a day early and plan on shooting atleast 100 at ranges out to 600 to double check my dope. If they perform as exspected I wouldn't hesitate shooting a lope at 600 in 15 mph wind. I use a wind meter. If they don't perform like a think they will I will limit it to whatever yardage I think I can hold 8 inches.

You are taking 150 rounds of ammunition on an antelope hunt? mtmuley

Interesting as that's quite different from what JBM is showing for the 180 Accubond using Litz's BC. I've no idea what your velocity is, so I used the highest one from the Nosler Load Data, which is 3160 fps. JBM shows 5" drift at 300 and 15" at 500 with a 10 mph full value wind. Give or take a bit depending on altitude, temp, etc.

Just goes to show that the ballistic app/ calculation methods should always still be verified.
Obviously my wind meter reading could be flawed, but as long as it is consistent then I can go with what I practice. Wind speed at the shooters location can obviously be very different at the point of impact and every where in between.

All the various wind conditions should be a limiting factor for extremely long distance shots on game in my opinion.
I can add that the ELD-X 178 gr. load is running at an average 3,053 fps with little deviation.

Last edited:

I have reviewed my records from my practice sessions and I must apologize.
I have posted incorrectly here. Afraid my mind isn't up to standards lately.

My drift in a 10 mph. wind was 2" at 200yrds, 5" at 300yrds, and 9" at 400, with the 500 being 13". I had a consistent 5" of drift at the 300 yrd range not the 500.
Guess that's why we write things down and carry a dope chart.
Hope I didn't cause anyone any trouble.

I don't get to shoot in the wind often enouph to remember all the numbers.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back