Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wildlife Refuges matter!

Had a big long reply typed up on my iPhone to the last comment on the article but I can't post because I'm not a member of outdoor life's blog.

I'll just paste it here. If anyone wants to post this in the comments under the article for me that would be great.

Actually state lands are almost all significantly more restricted on access than federal land. Have you ever tried to camp on state land in Wyoming or New Mexico? You can't. Colorado only allows hunting on about 1/3rd of its state land and that is paid for by the parks and wildlife department. You can't do anything on Nevada's state land because they sold all except about 3,000 acres of the 3 million acres they were granted at statehood. If you want to hunt or fish or camp east of the Mississippi you better plan on either paying for that access or joining lots of others using the little state land that they have available for hunting. Requiring weed free seed and similar restrictions are pretty smart in my opinion. Sure there are some new roadless areas being created, but not nearly as many as there are subdivisions going in or oil and gas drilling on critical winter range for wildlife. The forest service, BLM, etc. are not perfect by any means, but managing hundreds of millions of acres for multi use activities is going to result in some folks not getting to use some of it in the way they would prefer. Overall it seems to work a lot better than local control would.

Thanks for posting BF,and thanks for the great write up BL
Our public lands have been my sanctuary since I could walk and the base of my sanity. The thought of not having them is insane to me. I worked to protect them for 20 yrs wearing a badge even.
My property is next to BLM lands that anyone can access.

I have been to so many NWR's alone, I can't remember them all. Forget the many state or other agencies lands/monuments.....

I have Sevilleta & Bosque del Apache an hour an a half away. Hunted both. Been to most in NM.
Grizzley Island,Mendota,Kesterson,Carrizo Plains,Tule Lake,Klamath,Clear Lake.........I forget,too many in CA.Hunted them all.
I have been to Malheur. Hunted some in OR 30 yrs ago.

They are still my refuge . My sanity. My way of coping these days,more than ever.

From my cold dead hands........................

Last edited:
My wife works at a NWR. I have taken numerous whitetails, and countless limits of ducks from that property. It was purchased entirely with Federal Duck Stamp money back in the 1940's. Much of the land is open to hunting, although you must pay attention to the signage and maps to be certain you are in the correct zones. Other areas of the NWR are reserved as No Hunting Zones where well kept hiking trails provide access for school children field trips, photography, etc. A group threatened to take it over back in the 1980's. An armed response by USF&W Special Agents, FBI, State Police, and State Game Wardens quickly brought that situation under control.

I have only been to a few refuges but by far and away my favorite is National Bison Range. That is a beautiful area.

I have two very close to me, but didn't hit either last year.

In Montana I did spend time at CMR, Lee Metcalf, Red Rocks, Bison Range, Nine Pipes, Benton Lake and Bowdoin.

Awesome opportunities.

Upper Mississippi Wildlife Refuge for me! Our family has been boating, fishing, hunting, and recreating on it for over 30 years

That's a great write up. Thanks for sharing. If it wasn't for NWR's I surely would not be a hunter today. Growing up in Iowa pheasant hunting was the thing to do. My dad did not hunt and a kid trying to get on private land in my part of the state was not likely to happen. Thankfully, a friend introduced me to waterfowling on public land and once I got my drivers license the Upper Mississippi NWR was my hunting ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back