Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wild

James Riley

Banned
I watched "Wild" last night with my wife. I enjoyed it but it was a little depressing. The outdoors is a good place to go to "get away from". If done right, one learns, while out there, that it is an even better place to "go to." But learning that lesson can be difficult if, when out there, one runs into creeps or azzhats.

Once an urbanite or newbie finally gins up the courage to go face the dark, the grizzlies, the mountain lions, the cliffs, the drowning, and all the others "horrors" we have saddled the Earth with, the last thing thing they should have to worry about is other people. After all, isn't that what they are usually running from? I'm not saying the outdoors should be safe. Far from it. I just think it should be safer. Getting raped, shot, stabbed, ripped off and all that crap should be reserved for "civilization."

Those two creepy bow hunters pissed me off. She probably should have been packing but maybe that's illegal in CA. Women, alone, in the outdoors should be left alone. Anyway, I'd recommend the movie. It kept me paying attention for a couple of hours.

I thought it was pretty depressing too considering her real life story actually has a happy ending. They should have spent a little more time on the good that came from it all IMO.

I was really pissed that they portrayed the bowhunters the way they did! I was actually just thinking this morning about creating a list of movies that intentionally portray hunters in a negative light so we could boycott them. The last people in society that would behave the way those two clowns did would be backcountry archery hunters!

We just watched a movie called Cut Bank last night that pissed me off as well. They portrayed the freak of the movie as being a hunter and insinuated that killing a few problem bears turned him into a sociopath. I hate hollywood!

Yeah, my wife commented on the fact that the guy with the tractor, after initially raising her spidey sense, turned out to be the good guy, while bow hunters turned out to be Deliverance types. I'm not sure if the book is based upon a true story but if it is, then it's possible it happened that way. On the other hand, I think "prey species" tend to have a certain perception of the world that might color their experience. But if that's how it went down, objectively, then they were pricks. The Forest Ranger who got mail was not unlike a lot of men I've met.

I agree it would have been nice if they showed more of where the healing came from. I loved the fox thing and boy, did REI get a boost! :D

I did a search and came up with this in an interview from Vogue: "What kind of people did you encounter—did you run into anyone menacing?
Most people were incredibly kind and unique. There was a wonderful kinship and camaraderie among hikers. I did encounter a pair of men who were bow hunting. They were the only experience I had on the trail where I felt like perhaps they were going to do me harm."

That was all.

Last edited:
It is possible, although statistically very unlikely, that she ran in to a couple real looser archery hunters in the backcountry. More likely she had a preconceived bias towards camo and hunters from watching Bambi as a child and she jumped to the conclusion they meant her harm. This is a woman who routinely stuck heroin needles in her arm and had hate sex with random strangers. Seems kind of silly for her to be that worried about a couple guys in the woods to me.

It is possible, although statistically very unlikely, that she ran in to a couple real looser archery hunters in the backcountry. More likely she had a preconceived bias towards camo and hunters from watching Bambi as a child and she jumped to the conclusion they meant her harm. This is a woman who routinely stuck heroin needles in her arm and had hate sex with random strangers. Seems kind of silly for her to be that worried about a couple guys in the woods to me.

There's plenty of spots along the PCT here in CA that are easily accessible so it could very well be true.

Her water purifier didn't work very well either. Either that or she didn't know how to use it. After pumping the water was still brown (mine is always clear, no matter what elk wallow I pull it from :D) and she relied on the iodine for purification. That was the other thing; those bow hunters were relying on her for water? If so, they were not too savvy. But not all bow hunters know what they are doing.

Decent movie. Naked Reese was cool. The bow hunter scene was a little odd, but then I wasn't there.

Here is some filtered water that tasted fine, but the color wasn't appealing.

15_zpsc97348e5.jpg

Decent movie. Naked Reese was cool. The bow hunter scene was a little odd, but then I wasn't there.

Wow, what are you using? I used to use nothing but halazone and the water would be whatever color it was, but then I bought a katadine (?) and now I have one of those with two bags and a gravity filter. Both the katadine and the latter type always give me clear water. I can backwash the two bag job with clean water so I don't have to worry about the filter going bad like I did with the katadine.

I've drunk raw water out of known giardia streams and never had a problem but now that I'm older, why risk it? I always treat now.

P.S. Yeah, naked Reese was easy on the eye. Good for her. Ditto on the "not there" opinion.

Last edited:
Oh man, now I'm kicking myself for missing it on the big screen. :) I read the book and had zero sympathy for the author -- stupid person making bad decisions and whining over the consequences. My wife said the movie was much better, but she didn't mention anything about nude scenes. Netflix....

Oh man, now I'm kicking myself for missing it on the big screen. :) I read the book and had zero sympathy for the author -- stupid person making bad decisions and whining over the consequences. My wife said the movie was much better, but she didn't mention anything about nude scenes. Netflix....

Well, I have the book sitting by my bed, un-opened. Now I don't know . . . :( Oh well, maybe later. ;)

15_zpsc97348e5.jpg

Breaks? You're braver than I.

That pretty much sums up the movie too as far as I'm concerned. Just a good hard look at a bunch of bad choices. Depressing. I saw it on the big screen and don't remember much that impressed me as far nude scenes go.

There's plenty of spots along the PCT here in CA that are easily accessible so it could very well be true.

There are plenty of spots in Oregon that the PCT is easily accessible too but they all have water which makes the scenario in the movie seem questionable in my opinion. I agree it could be true but I would say it is 100 times more likely it was just another shot at the character of hunters. I see it all the time in movies and it always stands out to me. Lot's of vegan whack jobs in Hollywood.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back