Wife's Idaho Deer Hunt

IdahoBugler

Most of you probably know that my wife drew a pretty good tag in Idaho. We were finally able to make it out for the weekend. We saw a lot of deer with about 15 bucks a day. The very first morning we passed on a real nice 180 class 5x4 and then later on the 5x5 in the video. The night before we had that 5x5 at 50 yards about 20 minutes after shooting light. The next morning she passed on him at 350 yards.

The first part of the video shows one of the many small bucks we encountered. The next is a 3x4 that was pushing the 5x5 away from a hot doe. Then the 5x5. We will probably regret it but that's the way it goes when you have a trophy hunter for a wife. :D The way my wife trophy hunts is she waits until I start freaking out and talking fast then it is time to shoot. She later said she would have been really happy with that buck but just didn't think it was that big because I was picking him apart to much. Short G3's, one G4 is shorter then the other blah blah.

Anyway what do you guys think he scores. Let me know and I'll throw in what I think he scores.

that last buck is a nice one! I'm not much of a judge on measuring inches, but I'd throw out 164", due to the shallow forks on the one side.

Is season over, or do you get a second try?

That buck looks like he has good mass. It has some extras but weak G-3's. I would say 185ish still though. But thats just a guess, take it for what its worth. ;) I'm not good at field judging. ;)

I think your story is funny as hell!... i have been there as my wife is also sloooooow to pull the trigger....Your wife nailed a nice Buck, Congrats to her

HAHA.. Kawika sounds Excited in the video !!! Sarah should have dropped the hammer.....

You didn't by Chance run in with my Bizz partner Oswald did ya ? He is Outfitting in there right now. They have some Good footage of alot of bucks. The diff is their guys pay 7.5k and can't pack a whole deer out on their back like you can :p

Hey Bryce!

Have her hold out...there are bigger bucks in there... :) I'd say the 5X5 is a solid mid-to-upper 170's buck, but I think you need to go find the other one...

Good luck!

Corey

I'd say he's around 175. Thought he looked bigger, but started adding up numbers and that's where I ended up. Could be wrong, though. :D

Good luck!

HAHA.. Kawika sounds Excited in the video !!! Sarah should have dropped the hammer.....

You didn't by Chance run in with my Bizz partner Oswald did ya ? He is Outfitting in there right now. They have some Good footage of alot of bucks. The diff is their guys pay 7.5k and can't pack a whole deer out on their back like you can :p
I didn't run into him. I did see a lot of hunters but not Oswald. Has he seen anything good yet?

Kawika was pretty pumped. The funny thing is we saw a really nice 180 buck that was a 6X5 counting eyeguards and he said to pass it up to look for a 6X6. We found the 6x6 and he kept saying to shot it but we didn't. Later he was ok with it and said we will find a bigger one so hopefully he is right.

Hey Bryce!

Have her hold out...there are bigger bucks in there... :) I'd say the 5X5 is a solid mid-to-upper 170's buck, but I think you need to go find the other one...

Good luck!

Corey
Oh you mean the double dropper buck. Hopefully we will get some still pics of that one. ;)

Thanks guys. Here is what I came up with.

G1 2 and 1.5
G2 18 and 17
G3 9 and 9
G4 9 and 14
Mains 21
mass 31
inside 21
extra's 8

gross 182ish

I'm second guessing myself now on not trying to talk her into shooting it. We only have two days this coming weekend and that's it. The rut looked to be almost done for the first cycle anyway. Hopefully they will drop into the second cycle this weekend. The weather sucked and it was hot so they were bedding down pretty early in the day. With the moon gone and some cooler weather hopefully this will be the weekend. She said she is fine with eating her tag. She thinks we have enough meat in the freezer. :rolleyes:

Thats one of those bucks that looks impressive but doesn't score too well. I don't think I could have passed him up.

Not sure on the score but would have been willing to put a tape to it for those wanting to know and would have been quite tickled.

Hope the missus finds the one that makes her finally want to drop the hammer.

I'm excited to see her standing over a Big dead deer... Have her wear a small Pink Bikini, that really brings out the Deer's eye's and rack... ;)

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to the story but I had a few days to hunt for myself on the late archery hunt so I was gone for a while. Anyway we headed out the last weekend for Sarahs hunt. It was a little colder and the moon was gone so we had high hopes. The first morning was good with 10 different bucks spotted with no shooters. That evening we headed out to a new area and found a really nice buck that Sarah would be happy with, considering we had only two days left. He was a 5x4 maybe in the mid 170's. He was on the move and we had to move quick. He went over a ridge and could be anywhere on the back side. I glassed one basin with no luck except a few does. Went over the other side to glass another area and found a very unique main frame 3x3 with two kickers. She decided to pass on him in hopes of finding the 5x4. I decided to head back to the previous basin to look once more and started scanning the area. After 10 minutes I spot him but unfortunetly he had us spotted. I quickly dropped the shooting sticks and Sarah got ready for the shot. I ranged the buck at 347 yards. Just as she was getting ready the buck stepped behind a juniper. I told her not to worry because he couldn't step out without us seeing him. Unless of course this happens. |oo
P1070060.jpg

Not 5 minutes later we have a total white out. It lasts for 1 hour and pretty much ends the day. We are bummed but hopeful to find him the next day. I would really like to show you video of him but unfortunetly I recorded over it yesterday.

The next morning we head back into the area and find a 145ish 4 point and the nontypical 3 point but no big buck. The rest of the day was the same with many smaller bucks but not one worthy of her tag. We headed back and tried to make plans for the last day which would be a whopping 1 hour of hunting.

We picked up our son from school and headed out as quick as we could. Arriving there with a little over an hour left of light. Sarah had decided to take the non-typical 3 if we could find him. With 25 minutes of light left we spotted him but luckily for him he was on the other side of the basin and 600 yards away. We watched as the sun set on her hunt a little bummed at the outcome but enjoyed the time we had as a family. We enjoyed a total of 7 days in the hills together. I couldn't be more proud of both Sarah and Kawika. 5:30 wakeups, 20 degree days and many many miles on the feet with very little complaining.

No kill pics but a bunch of fun photo's to share.

First day hunt sitting in the fog with 50 feet of visability. Enjoying a hot dog lunch with marshmellows cooked over a propane stove. :D
P1060919.jpg

P1060923.jpg

The boy found many ways from getting bored.
P1060929.jpg

P1060934.jpg

The fun part running over your little family of snowmen with the wheeler.
P1060977.jpg

Glassing a basin looking for mister big.
P1060938.jpg

Weekend lunch on the mountain.
P1060982.jpg

Another marshmellow treat.
P1060983.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back