Why width?

Craig S.

When I was a kid the first thing anyone in camp looked for was a wide Muley. Why? I mean I understand they look cool, but to this day that's all my dam dad talks about is width & body size. It really bugs me for some reason...

I remember several local big buck contests from my childhood & I believe they were all based on width & body weight. Maybe this is the reason?:confused:

My dad and brother in law are the same way! I keep trying to tell them that the score is in tine length and the size of their forks. Width definitely helps the score, but deep forks are what give the best score. In David Long's book Public Land Muley's: The bottom line, he says that 60% of the score comes from the front forks, and that strong front forks will always beat strong back forks. I think you are right that everyone is caught up on the width factor. Seems like everyone wants that 30 inch buck, but statistically you have your work cut out for you. In my eyes, if the buck gets your crank going - who cares how wide it is. I would rather have a tall, heavy, deep forked buck than a 30 inch crab fork buck. It's all in personal preference I guess.

The whole width thing has bugged me too. Width is just a measurement of the air between antlers. It has nothing to do with how much antler the buck actually grew. Lets say one year I shoot one of the 30" wide bucks that is flat, no height to them, and no mass. Then the following year I shoot a really tall buck with great tines and awesome mass, but only 22". Inevitably people will ask "How wide were your bucks?" Without actually seeing each buck, they will be more impressed with that 30" spindly buck then with the 22" massive, long tined buck. In my opinion width or "spread credit" should be done away with in the measurement of a buck's antlers, and more mass measurements of the tines should be included. Ideally, weighing the antlers would give you the most accurate indication of how much antler a buck grew, but that would require removing the antlers from the skull plate. It would be funny though, when referring to a buck's antler size, to say, "My buck was 5 pounds 13 oz".

volume?

Ok, your gonna have to follow me hear .
spray bottles are set to stream and they shoot (x) volume in a stream. Then the nozzle is switched to spray (x) volume is sprayed over a wider area which is impressive to some.
Volcano (a) spews 10,000 cubic tons of debris straight up in a stream while
Volcano (b) spews 5,000 cubic tons of debris in a low billowy cloud covering hundreds of square miles.
It is just one of the ways our brains process information. Some of us are turned on by more volume-just look at 80's hair bands and high school girls!
It also has historical significance as years ago many racks were not scored like we do today. Most old timers new about what the deer weighed, how wide it was and how many points it had-so width was just a quick comparable to be used.
If you placed 2 antlers on top of a deers head that were both 4 points and tall and massive but close together, I would shoot it. If you tipped the antlers apart to a 30" spread I might be able to fumble a round into the chamber, find a good rest and take careful aim but I would likely miss the shot due to FEVER!

OK, in keeping with nik's logic, you're dating three women. You want to marry one but can't decide which. You give them 10 grand each. #1 spends it on clothes, #2 buys you an expensive watch, #3 invests it, doubles her money and pays you back.

....which one do you marry?

Why does it bother you what someone else likes? Shoot what u want its goin on your wall right? At least my thoughts

I love it when I hear guys say, " Yeah, we saw a lot of bucks, but we passed them up, none were 30"... just 27-29"ers...."

Hell, Rockydog was with me in the Salmon when a guy said, "We dont shoot anything under 30"... then he repeated and emphasized "Anything"... then went on to tell us about the 29 incher that was massive and tall, but "we passed on him, he wasn't 30".....

LMFAO I am not a big critter killer and dont pass on a lot of stuff unless its a true dink.... But I'm betting most the guys that say the stuff like above, have not ever SEEN a 29 inch buck...let alone a massive and tall one....

In most cases, width usually indicates a big mature buck. For every spindly 30"er there are probalby 10 studs..

It takes a hell of a deer to make 30". Spindly or not.

I'd guess most record book caliber muleys are less than 30 inches wide. I've seen more than one 30 inch dink and even more 24 inch studs.

BIG on the antlers does more for me than BIG on a measurement of thin air.

Last edited:
just sorta fyi.
got him with my dad-great day in m y life. passsed on ZERO 22/26/29 inchers!

Attachments

• nicks deer.JPG
    nicks deer.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 292
Does anyone know.......... if when scoring a buck, if the width is greater than the main beam, then you only get what the beam length is right ? But do you pick the longest beam for that and does the lost width count on your gross?

Last edited:
Does anyone know.......... if when scoring a buck, if the width is greater than the main beam, then you only get what the beam length is right ? But do you pick the longest beam for that and does the lost width count on your gross?

3. Inside Spread Length or Longest Tine

Another figure is the greatest length in the spread between the left and right main antler beams. However, the length of the longest tine (main beam measurement) may equal, but not exceed, the inside spread.

...from; http://www.life123.com/sports/camping/hunting/hunting-tips-how-to-score-whitetail-deer-antlers.shtml

Whatever turns your crank! Some people like width. Me personally, I like the deep forks, tall horns and lots of mass, doesn't matter if the spread is 12" or 30"

I guess if they were easy to find, everyone that wanted one, would have one. Maybe difficulty has something to do with it?

More of the same for me. I was out with a buddy of mine just last weekend. I found him a deer that was only about 21" wide. However, his mass was good and he forked good everywhere. He would not shoot it because the deer wasn't at least 26" wide. I even tried to talk to him about score and all of that...but he wouldn't do it.

My deer this year is a prime example. His outside spread is only 23.5". I just got him back from the Pope and Young scorer and he almost 185 gross and over 167 net. Why, because the front end is huge. Long main beams and G4's help the most. If my deer had just semi-good backs, then he would push the 200 mark.....not bad for a 23.5"(outside spread) wide buck.

By the way that is not a photo-shopped mountian lion at the top of the stairs(many of you have seent the picture that I am making fun of). It's a 21lb King Cavalier Spaniel and he wants to lick your face!!!!

Attachments

• Stu buck.JPG
    Stu buck.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Stubuck2.JPG
    Stubuck2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 207
My best muley has a twelve inch inside spread, so width definitely isn't everything for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like wide bucks but if I have a 190 26" buck and a 170 30" buck standing in front of me, there's no question...

WideMuleDeer.jpg

This is the picture that just made me laugh & post the other day. My dad holding the widest buck, wierd!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back