Why the breed?

RyeGuy74

Hey,

Just curious how everyone chose their go-to hunting dog breed(s)? Was it because of hunting style, hunting environment, or simply what you hunted?

I know for me, my family all used Springer Spaniels, I wanted a close-working flusher, and at the time, I needed a small breed to fit into my apartment. After all my research, I had an opportunity to meet with a well-known English Cocker Spaniel breeder and instantly knew the breed was for me. I loved the way they hunted, it marked all the boxes, and it was similar to what I grew up around. I have never looked back. Although now that I have gotten my foot in the door with waterfowl hunting, I don't know how many geese my ECS will be retrieving before he needs to take a nap lol

I'm on my second lab. I do about equal parts waterfowl and upland (pheasants) hunting. My current lab is almost 8. I've been giving thought to a "bearded" dog for my next one, because I'd kinda like a pointing dog that still handles waterfowl well. Ultimately, I keep coming back to the lab. They are hard to beat.

Golden retrievers are hard to beat for all around. I don't think they would rank number one for anything, but they certainly rank near the top for everything. Great nose, great patience, great drive, great tolerance, great endurance, great calmness. All of this makes them great hunting dogs on water and dry land as well as being a great companion in the home from elderly owners down to young families with kids.

I needed a dog who:

-Was highly biddable. I don’t have particularly high standards but I do have them and I am busy as hell.
-Can deal with cold temperatures. The majority of my bird hunting happens after the rifle season and is upland hunting in Montana.
-Can swim and loves water. My family’s life revolves around water half of the year.
-Is a good family dog. I have three young children.
-And of course more

Many dogs could fit that bill, and I am not saying any breed is particularly better than any other, but I have a lab, and she is wonderful.

GSPs they hunt like crazy, get me all kinds of attention on the beach in Cabo, then chill in the house.

Attachments

• 071037C6-6ADE-4EDF-9AB8-69D80AA96115.jpeg
    071037C6-6ADE-4EDF-9AB8-69D80AA96115.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 29
  • E1204898-5778-4A1E-BE80-7BA109C2974B.jpeg
    E1204898-5778-4A1E-BE80-7BA109C2974B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • AD2B047F-BDB6-4905-8FE2-47F3A513CD2B.jpeg
    AD2B047F-BDB6-4905-8FE2-47F3A513CD2B.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 9D8F07A8-23E3-40BD-83D5-354E8074B4BB.jpeg
    9D8F07A8-23E3-40BD-83D5-354E8074B4BB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
Family dog first, some phesant/upland, some cold water ducks, few geese and listens good so can go with me on fishing trips and some big game hunts= Lab! On our second chocolate, he was with me this year on my bison hunt. Responds to hand signals and when i stalked in he laid quite in grass watching never moving. Better dog than a hunter but thats whats most import to me and my family.

I was going to get all hardcore into waterfowl hunting, so I got a lab. He is an absolute fetching fool. The waterfowl bug passed and I don't hunt other birds, so he became a pet. He's gentile and good with my other dogs. I was a big worried at first, though. He seemed pretty special needs until he was about 4. But, now he plays with the others, licks himself on the couch, and takes up too much of the bed, and I love him.

I like the look of bearded dogs. I liked that they ‘do everything’. I came to the realization, tho, that this isn’t what I really need or want.

I’ve switched to pointing dogs, and I’ll only get them going forward, and only from field trialers.

Most weekdays - and I hunt just about every day Sept-Mar - I have roughly 1 hours time in the field, especially once days are short, to get a point and flight with a falcon.

The pointing dogs from good field trialers will cover 2-3x the ground any versatile I have had or seen in the same amount of time. They are quicker to train and have a far higher ceiling, assuming upland birds is the only desire.

I've had at least one retriever living with me for the last 30 years. My current Lab is retired and there will be a new pup in the Spring. I had one Chessie, she was a sweet girl but harder to train than the others. My first "Lab" was a mixed breed in college that hunted hard and was a great buddy in the blind. I hunt over pointers owned by friends for Chukar, and a co-worker has a German wirehaired that does pretty good on ducks. I love the pointers but hunt waterfowl ten times more often, so I will stick with retrievers. Labs are also great family dogs and eager to please.

I mostly waterfowl hunt with a rare upland hunt every now and then. My first retriever was a golden almost 40yrs ago but didnt like the hair and you couldnt raise your voice around her. After my golden, I had a couple chessies. I liked them but found them to not fit my training ability at the time. My first was a female and she was great but a little timid. Then I got a male, this was before the internet so it was hard to research bloodlines ect. He was a great one man dog, but you couldn't hunt him with other dogs or new to him people or it could get ugly if you didnt watch him. Overall I was happy with chessies and I will say I was a phone call away from getting another one this last go round. My last three dogs have been labs. All three males, all three chocolates. With the advent of the internet its become very easy to find the type of dog you want in terms of temperament and drive. Ill probably stick with labs, for me they pretty much check all the boxes in what I want in a family dog companion and hunting partner.

I started my upland hunting with an English Pointer a little over 20 years ago. Ten years and another Pointer added I started banding woodcock. It's a requirement that the dog point for this. I found hunting and banding in small covers paid big dividends, but was difficult with EP that cover big ground fast. I became convinced that English Setters are the ideal breed for ruffed grouse, excel snd banding and are excellent in the house. Specifically I chose Llewellin Setters and don't forsee a change in the future.

Know the feeling man. My dog is afraid of his shadow most days, so no big shock he hates guns really
Not so afraid of his shadow, but I think next time around I will work harder to harden the pup up sooner. Learned a lot on this dog - most important is that I plan to never be without an Airedale again.

I have had Chesapeake Bay Retrievers for over 45 years. I find them to be great waterfowl dogs and very loyal. I had a big male that used to go on night patrols with me. One night, 1:00 AM, I stopped four guys in a car after watching them pick up a stashed illegal deer. No cell phones at that time. Radio didn't work where I was. Just me and Brooks. They were all drunk/high, convicted felons, and combative. When that 95 lb. curly brown monster displayed his aggravation that they were being chitty to Dad... the fight ended quickly !!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back