Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Why are these pics blurry!!??

Steelhead

I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 and recently it's been taking a lot of blurry pictures. Unless the subject(s) are completly still they will be fuzzy. I almost always shoot on burst mode and I've never had this problem before, what gives? Here are some examples.
First picture: Not too bad everybody is holding still, all three of us.
Second picture: I'm not moving the fish THAT fast!!!
Third picture: With my older canon I used to always capture the water droplets still...these ones are blurry. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P1020843(1).JPG
    P1020843(1).JPG
    193 KB · Views: 334
  • P1020847(2).JPG
    P1020847(2).JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 325
  • P1020855(drip).JPG
    P1020855(drip).JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 331
It appers to me that it is an issue with your shutter speed. Your shutter is too slow on the bottom 2 shots, in which ANY movement will be blurred. Notice how everything else that isn't moving is sharp. Not sure if you have manual control on your shutter but if so it needs to be at least 1/250 for these shots...1/500 is guaranteed sharp, but you then lose depth of field. The other solution is to use flash, in which case anything 1/60 or faster will be sharp when shot with a flash. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll research your camera and give you more information.

Photofin isn't wrong. Bump the shutter speed up and you'll be good to go.

did you use flash in the 3rd image? If not another tip would be to change your metering setting....cameras can meter the WHOLE image or just the part you focus on(central metering) It appears to me that yours is set to metering the whole image, because the background looks pretty good. Switch it and your fish should be the perfect exposure next time...and the background will be darker.

Solid points. Here's the issue. I fish a lot for Steelhead and it's catch and release for native fish as opposed to hatchery fish. So I have to take a very quick picture of them before I release em...sometimes I fish alone and I set the camera to take pictures of myself and if it's on 'burst' mode it will take 3 pictures each time I set it but it won't use the flash. I usually set it on burst mode so I can get a bunch of pictures and find the "perfect" one.
In short: In burst mode it won't use the flash but only takes one picture at a time. Perhaps I should take it off burst mode...or just find someone who is willing to go fishing with me.

Photofin, just a question;
Could this BE a depth of field issue ?
Short DOF and a focus on the man and not the fish ?

To answer Steelhead.....I did a bit of research on your camera....it talks about the great focus capabilities and how the camera can distinguish between faces...etc. First off, that's a bit of a tale, but it may explain why the camera is focusing on you and not the fish. Second, I understand the burst issue, wanting to get more images to choose from. 3rdly, it has a built in sensor that meters the WHOLE surrounding, which isn't in your favor, especially with shiny bright steelhead. Let me sit back and word this better for you.

Continue Steelhead.....with the metering...when I say it isn't in your favor it's because the surroundings are almost always darker than your fish, which means the camera is going to try and make everything look good. Well the brightest highlights and darkest shadow usually don't get the most attention, in this case the steelhead with the brightness.

To continue on the blurriness. The only solution I see is to use flash, especially if you are trying to take a picture in those conditions. It may be worth the sacrifice of only getting 1 photo vs 3. But before I say go out and do this, I would practice. Sounds CHEESY, but practice setting up and shooting so that you can judge how far you need to set the camera up WITH flash before you have a studly fish in your hands. One step further, use a shiny object similar to their scales because the flash may ALSO blow out the highlights. I guarantee with flash you won't have any motion blur issues.

Sorry to keep rambling. I have taken fishing photographs for years and know all of the pains. The best solution of course would be to have a competent fishing partner who can take the images for you. But another fun solution I have found is to get creative with your images. Here are a few examples of trout I have caught and photographed by myself....nothing special, tights, cuts, and be careful not to drop the camera into the H2O!

I also stuck my leg in the water so people had a reference of how big the trout was....but it gave me the freedom to use my hands.

Attachments

• fish 1.jpg
    fish 1.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 191
  • fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 187
  • fish 3.jpg
    fish 3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 184
A-con to answer you q's. Good thought on the depth of field. The reason I don't think this is the problem is because if you look at the background depth it is great. The camera can't have that drastic of a change in depth between the fish and angler without the background being totally blurry as well. It would make sense if the trees and edge of the river were blurry. But that isn't the case in these images.

Is that first pic the adipose fin? Thanks a lot for your help. I will practice and hopefully get my 'cover shot' one of these days. I'll post a slough of steelhead pics on the fishing board eventually....thanks again!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back