Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Why are non-resident hunters allowed tags in limited quota areas ?

OK, let's put this in perspective. There's 17,000 NR big game combo licenses and at $1,000 a pop, you're looking at $17M. That alone equates to 850,000 resident tags...And you're complaining about a lucky handful of NR's beating Powerball type odds to hunt on the US NATIONAL FOREST in the Elkhorns or the UNITED STATES BLM in the Breaks???

Most of that land is our land.our is citizens of the united States.we own that land.mt.citizens do not own that land, anymore than a citizen of any other state. If it makes you feel any better mt. Prices for non resident hunters is s is a ripoff and hunting in your state once is enough.we need to stick together as hunters and not worry about what state another person lives.

get over it dude,,non-residents fund a lot of your game and fish,,,not your damn taxes,,2nd tourism and fuel tax is a big expenditure for non-residents coming thru,,,motels,eating joints ect,really enjoy non-residents supporting the local economy,,,,personally Montana is way down on my list for "bang for the buck" so you have nothing to worry about with me.i will spend my non -resident moneys elsewhere dude.

Of all those services you mention, you need to realize that about 40% of Montana's state budget is Federal dollars. When I got to Montana to hunt I only drive on "my" 40% of the roads, and use only the 40% of "my" services, and hunt on "my" federal lands. Montana is truly a welfare state, rivaled by only a few others.

You pay more in state income tax than many here pay in federal tax? Impressive... You need a better accountant.

A NR hunter coming to Montana contributes a heck of a lot to your state. All fees, taxes, etc including license (basically a tax) and (bed, gas, liquor taxes) pays the state of MT more than what the typical resident pays in state income tax each year ($1050)... I'd even let you toss in your $48 for elk/deer/fishing license and the NR still pays more... and lets not forget that other 40% he's "welfare'n" for ya already.

If it makes you feel any better I don't apply for MT special tags. I leave them for the guys that deserve them.

I think MT has a pretty fair system.

Yes, they pay a sizeable amount, but they use a lot of Montana's resources while here too. They rely on our infrastructure, hospitals, law enforcement, roads, road maintenance, the list goes on and on. Why a person who only comes for a week or so should have the opportunity to harvest an animal over a resident, in my opinion is totally wrong.
How about me out East, across the Atlantic in fact, it isn't just the Tag price that we contribute, the amount of cash we spend whilst we stay in Montana for at least 2 weeks in my case, couple that with friends that i often have with me, and more visits with friends in the future, that amounts to a serious amount of revenue, which i do not begrudge the fantastic Montana state in way, shape, or form.
It isn't just about killing with us, we have eaten a some of what we have killed, the rest has been donated to the food banks.
BTW, i have never succeeded in getting a limited draw, all my success has been in general area's.
Sorry, but i will be coming back and applying for a limited draw.
Cheers
Richard

As a resident and taxpayer here in Montana, I have wondered why non residents are given permits ahead of any resident in limited quota areas? I know the FWP sets a side up to 10%, but why should ANY NR get a tag over a resident? I understand a NR hunting in general areas, and the fact that Montana has substantial federal land holdings has led to this 10% NR allotment. But in my opinion, a resident should have first chance at ALL tags that are on a quota system, then, if any remain, NR can apply. There would still be many opportunities left in general areas, but as a resident, we should have propriety over a NR.

Are you going to pay $1000 for your hunting license to cover the cost?

bambi, I disagree, Montana is not treating the non-resident fairly, 10% is not equitable, in a state that is roughly 30% federally owned. I don't think we need to up it any, but just saying "it ain't fair".

bambi, I disagree, Montana is not treating the non-resident fairly, 10% is not equitable, in a state that is roughly 30% federally owned. I don't think we need to up it any, but just saying "it ain't fair".

Land ownership doesn't matter....has nothing to do with the allocation of Montana's wildlife resources.

Also, please don't pretend you care about me as a DIY NR hunter to Montana...you care about your paying clients, that's all.

I'm interested to know if the OP is a native Montanan? I'm keeping my butt on the east coast where I belong don't worry. Montana is clearly not open for tourism.

I get it dude I really do, you don't like the "outsiders" coming in to "your" turf and hunting "your" animals. People where I live don't like people from the big city coming up here to the mountains to hunt/fish. Locals in SE Alaska hate when the cruise ship docks and all those tourists get off and crowd everything up. Inter-city kids from neighborhood A don't like kids from neighborhood B. Unless you own a related business I suppose that it is hard to see the impact that tourism has on the local economy and in turn tax revenue for the State.

Well stated all! How bout as hunters we just encourage one and all to hunt respectfully, and legally, and congratulate each other on a hard to draw tag. A little education goes a long way .

This is good. After he's done with the Mexico border, maybe President Trump will start on Montana? :cool:

Extreme vetting for all NR applicants

LMAO! I cannot believe that the OP even brought up how much tax money he supposedly contributes in Montana. Very few states support game and fish issues with actual tax money-other than maybe some salaries.

No worries about me going there. They have priced themselves out of the market, as far as I am concerned.

As a resident and taxpayer here in Montana, I have wondered why non residents are given permits ahead of any resident in limited quota areas? I know the FWP sets a side up to 10%, but why should ANY NR get a tag over a resident? I understand a NR hunting in general areas, and the fact that Montana has substantial federal land holdings has led to this 10% NR allotment. But in my opinion, a resident should have first chance at ALL tags that are on a quota system, then, if any remain, NR can apply. There would still be many opportunities left in general areas, but as a resident, we should have propriety over a NR.

It is exactly this mentality that will be the death of the North American Model. Screw everyone else, as long as I get what I want.

As others have said, please educate yourself on how funding for state wildlife agencies and conservation programs work. Those non residents probably foot a lot of the bill for some programs you really enjoy.

LMAO! I cannot believe that the OP even brought up how much tax money he supposedly contributes in Montana. Very few states support game and fish issues with actual tax money-other than maybe some salaries.

No worries about me going there. They have priced themselves out of the market, as far as I am concerned.

Same here sbh!!!

Here I thought that I was supporting a lot of local jobs when I visited as a NR hunter!!! Its a shame to hear that myself and others like me are the scum of the earth bringing pestilence, disease and all manner of evil to MT. Next time a MT resident visits, say the Mayo Clinic in AZ, should they be booted out of the state for going quail hunting and (possibly) befouling the desert areas of the state. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed in for treatment at all. To paraphrase and old saying, "Let them all die, God will sort them out". What a ridiculous level we will have fallen to if we don't respect each other as MTbirdhunter seems to imply he wants to see. GJ

Last edited:
Sometimes if you look at a poster's previous threads, you can kind of get an idea of what "trips his trigger"....

Today, September 1, 2016 the Montana carriers enforcement stopped all diesel vehicles coming out of Glasgow NW of town. I pulled over as instructed to do, the officer tried to hand me a green card, I refused, he then said he would dip my fuel tank, I asked what probable cause he had, he said state law gives him the right, or you face a $535 fine, basically guilty till you prove yourself innocent. I then contacted my legislative members, governors office, attorney generals office, and the Montana carriers enforcement office. John Brendan, my state senator, told me something interesting, he went thru a check in Shelby,MT, bringing up something curious, I spoke with a gentleman at carriers enforcement who said he was in charge of these checks, I asked when these checks started, he said 4-5 years ago, I then asked what towns, all were smaller towns , Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Missoula, Kalispell , GF and of course Helena were not on the list. First I believe the searches are unconstitutional to begin with, but then to target rural Montana?
And my tank was clear!

It is exactly this mentality that will be the death of the North American Model. Screw everyone else, as long as I get what I want.
I believe the best way to protect what we have is to give as many people as possible, a reason to value it. I believe the North American model of wildlife conservation does just that. So does a reasonable nr tag quota.
The irony is any non-resident arguing for higher tag quotas would be just as greedy as a resident arguing against non-resident tags.

The monetary comments well thats just the O.P. trying to make himself feel special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back