Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Who panics and presses that little orange button the most?

Irrelevant

I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but maybe I just missed it.

I really wanted to make a @MtnElk joke. But I think he's been ridiculed enough.

I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but maybe I just missed it.

I really wanted to make a @MtnElk joke. But I think he's been ridiculed enough.
California... is where we get lost

California... is where we panic

But seriously, have a good friend that had to initialize S&R in the CO Weminuche a couple decades ago who still suffers anxiety from the experience...another who tore up a knee while separated from his party.

I've been temporarily and uncomfortably turned around before or after light...I will certainly admit to being a poor woodsman.

One time in the Pagosa Springs WalMart...was mortified.
I'm surprised there's not an " accidental activation" section in the stats, I'd guess close to half the calls our SAR team gets off of Inreach are false alarms, maybe those go into the "self-rescue" category? for a while there was a software/hardware glitch with the Inreach Mini where the button could be held down and trigger a SOS without the device being powered on or the cover removed, there were times when we would get multiple false alarms a day out of that, PSA, update the firmware on your device regularly, and reply to the dispatch text if you do accidentally set it off if you don't want SAR to interrupt your hunt...

So what’s activating one of these run a person, in USD, after it’s all said and done? I assume the person who made the call foots the bill for the SAR, no?

Last edited:
nothin in colorado.
🤯 that’s wild. When I lived in AK I was always told that if SAR had to come get you, you had to pay the bill, which would be beyond $100k, so you were better off just dying.

Idk about that, but there ought to be some financial disincentive to keep people from venturing beyond their abilities.

just seems like a good opportunity for a “f&$@ around and find out” lesson.

🤯 that’s wild. When I lived in AK I was always told that if SAR had to come get you, you had to pay the bill, which would be beyond $100k, so you were better off just dying.

Idk about that, but there ought to be some financial disincentive to keep people from venturing beyond their abilities.

just seems like a good opportunity for a “f&$@ around and find out” lesson.

But I think they truly do want the exact opposite. Look at any county SAR webpage in Colorado and you’ll likely find words of some sort on there stating to not hesitate to call for help as rescue is free.

They don’t want people dying because they’re afraid of bills.

Now, what’s not free is getting put in air and ground ambulances. But that’s generally separate from SAR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back