Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who likes Bear meat ?

WHOC.....Yes, bear meat is very fatty.....sometimes it is difficult to remove the backstraps because of all the fat on them.....Spring bears are not as fatty as fall bears but can have more parasites in them. Southern clime bears who do not hibernate seem to have the most fat impregnated meat. As far as what to use to make jerky, either hams or shoulders will do. Just separate the major muscles and trim the leanest from the inside separations.

Bear Meat - GOOD! :) Needs to be frozen for quite a while and then cooked good. Not the kind of meat that you throw on the Barby and cook med rare. Make sure it's cooked WELL.
Bear Fat - BAD!!! Adds a very aweful flavour. I debone and cut my own meat. I trim as much fat and grissle as I can. I normally cut into Roasts, steaks and stew.

BTW, Bear Meat makes great Dog Food if it's an old tough bear that is unedible for human consumption. :) :)

Thanks for this topic and for all of the info.......several years ago, I traded a bear hunt for a rattle snake hunt (no lie)........but I was totally ignorant on how to take care of and prepare the meat (the bear).....worst stuff I ever tasted, and couldn't get the grease to quit rolling out of it......may have to give it another try....maybe

We BBQ'd all of my bear steaks this weekend. Marinated some of them in honey-teriyaki and some in 2 parts Heinz 57, 1 part Honey. Cooked them on the grill and I have to say, it was the best game meat I've had. Even the kids loved it.

Sounds good. I usually smoke the hams, and make smokeys, sausage, and pepperoni out of the rest, but you do have to get the fat trimmed out, or it makes it taste bad.

If the bear is taken care of in the field, the meat is damn good...The 5 things you have to do, and do fast is :

1) Kill it fast ( always a good start, and safer to do the other 4)
2) Gut it
3) Skin it
4) Cut as much fat off as you can
5) Cool the meat as fast as you can.( Stop at the closest store and pack the meat in ice)

Cut that dude up into steaks, roasts, chops, and burgers and you have some mighty fine meat...

Hunterman(Tony)

Back