Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Which one, help me chooose

Which one?

• 6.5 Swede

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 6.5 PRC

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
I voted PRC because of more avalibility. now im not saying the the PRC is actually all that popular but it is way more popular than the swede. nothing agianst the swede though it is still a good cartridge.

Man, it’s weird how utilitarian I am with cartridges. Go with the facts and the PRC is the clear winner of the two in my less than humble opinion.

My buddies Dad was a historical gun nut, and loved odd ball cartridges. My first hunt was with a 303 British military rifle. Want to talk about a pile of crap. It had peep sites and was definitely mass produced quickly to win a war. I am SO glad he was a crappy hunter and we didn’t see anything. We (the rifle and I) had no business shooting over 100 yards at a critter. What’s that old saying, It was like a monkey screwing a football. In this situation the football was flat…

I have two Tikka’s and LOVE them. I have a T3x Wideland Veil and it is a shooting machine. The monkey is still screwing, but at least the football is a premium leather piece with air in it.

I ponder a 7 PRC. If the cartridge takes off I will buy one in a few years. If not, I don’t a historical piece.

Dont knock the British Enfield the fastest bolt action made. A good Enfield and young eyes is a deadly piece of weapon in 303 Brit. My favorite Mark 3. SMLE

Dont knock the British Enfield the fastest bolt action made. A good Enfield and young eyes is a deadly piece of weapon in 303 Brit. My favorite Mark 3. SMLE

To each their own I guess. I don’t necessarily agree on the fastest bolt action and I would take a 308 over it 1 million times over for hunting. For goofing around I can see how it would be fun.

If you go Swede then pay the historic cartridge the respect it deserves and get it in a classic rifle. Preferably a Mauser style action with a nice wood stock and blued! (Model 70, Model 77, Kimber)
Before I bought my Kimber 6.5 some years ago I was damned close to buying a Model 70 Featherweight in the 6.5 Swede. Alas, I sold my soul to utilitarianism and bought the Kimber Hunter.

Well, I did it. I gave in to the History nerd inside me and purchased a T3x hunter in 6.5 Swede. It's the model with stainless hardware and walnut stock. Can't wait to get it. Almost waited too long. They were avalable on Gallery of Guns the last few weeks and suddenly, when I looked yesterday, they were gone, the stainless ones anyway. Today, the blued version is sold out as well. Fortunately a couple other FFL's had them in stock so I ordered before it was completely too late. I'm learning that if you want a current production rifle in a rare caliber, you better strike while the iron's hot!

Now to order dies and bullets. Will be ordering copper 130's. Just debating between Barnes TSX or Hammer Shock Hammers.

Last edited:
Back