Which Garmin GPS

6.5creedman

I wanted your opinions on which gps to get for the x hunter maps. I like the idea of a touch screen as well as a little bit larger screen, so I have been looking at the Oregon models. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Pros and Cons. thanks

I have had the Oregon 450 for many years now...I can't even remember how many years I've had it, and have used the OnXMaps on in it since they came out. There is bigger and better Garmins...but not cheaper that still do what you need them to.

The 62 series are not touch screen, but they are tough. I have had mine for a long time, have forgotten it in a tree-stand(climbing type) overnight, dropped it in snow, mud and water and it still works like new. Alos have xmap chip. Probably the klutziest person in the woods, but the 62s has survived it. FWIW.

I also have the Oregon 450. I like the unit. Not crazy about the touch screen. Anything other than a thin glove, you have to take your glove off to use the screen. That said, you have to with most non touch screens as the buttons are small and close together. I've uploaded quite a few aerial photos that overlay the map chip, works great.

The Montana 650 is a great unit. The screen is so big, I often use the onXmaps chip and check out areas while I'm laying on the couch at home. Also comes with a rechargeable battery, but also accepts AAs for peace of mind in the field.. no t sure if the Oregons have this feature or not.

I had an Oregon at one time. Also have had 60CSX, 62st, and now have a Montana. The Montana is my favorite, but a long shot, and the 60/62 were really good.

I was using the 60csx at the start of this season but it got lost so I was forced to buy a new one. I went with the Montana and think it's awesome, much better than the 60csx IMO.

I traded my Garmin for an android app. I can download all the 7.5' USGS topo maps I want, with property boundary overlays. I find the USGS maps to be much better quality than any of the stuff available for Garmin's, plus I never have to buy any more chips. If switch my phone into airplane mode, I get great battery life out of it. With an Otter Box case for the phone, its darn near indestructible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro&hl=en

Last edited:
I have used the Oregon 450 for years as well. In fact i'm on my second one. I like the touch screen but you need a case or you'll scratch the heck out of it, which is why I'm on #2.

What is the difference between the 62s and 64s? I'm in the market as well and have been looking at both of these. Sorry to highjack the thread! lol

Back