which did set to buy?

williaada

I just picked up a new .280AI, and am looking at buying a set of dies. I will be using Nosler brass and not fire forming as of now. My question is what is the difference between the common two set dies sold by Hornady and RBSC vs the Redding diE set with 3 dies and costs significantly more.

Do I need to purchase the more expensive die set since I have Ackley Improved?

Thanks

In general vendors have base/standard FL dies and premium dies that often include bushing die variants. For hunting purposes Hornady, RBSC and Redding standard dies should be fine. If you want to be more particular with your loading you can move up to the premium bushing dies such as the Redding Premium/Competition set.

In general vendors have base/standard FL dies and premium dies that often include bushing die variants. For hunting purposes Hornady, RBSC and Redding standard dies should be fine. If you want to be more particular with your loading you can move up to the premium bushing dies such as the Redding Premium/Competition set.
2nd this.

If you are really particular, or tend toward exact, exact, exact as a standard, then bushing dies are the route - you get that absolute control of a very important dimension.

Last edited:
For me, I started with FL sizer for older brass and i opted for a micrometer seater because i knew I’d be incrementing seating depth. I’ve since added the bushing die for use with my rifle’s fire formed brass.
Hornady has a micrometer that can be added to their standard seater, dunno about RCBS.

I built my .257 AI and .30 Gibbs in the late '70s. I bought a .257 AI die set from RCBS and sent them 2 or 3 fired cases from my .30 Gibbs, and they sent me a set of dies for it. Those RCBS die sets have worked good for me for over 40 years.

When I bought my .375 RUM in 2009 I bought a set of Hornady dies for it. I can't remember now why I didn't like the Hornady dies, but soon after I bought them I bought a set of dies from RCBS that I still use.

I ended up purchasing a set of RBCS dies online and then someone offered me a used set of Redding Dies with the micro setter sie so I thought I would try both and sell the set I disliked the most. I did get a chuckle about someone else having issues with the Hornady dies as well. I have slowly switched my dies to the RBCS as well. Have you had any luck with the Lee Dies?

I have RCBS, Hornady, and most recently Redding dies that I purchased for a 270 WSM. Last week as I was reloading for it I was thinking how much I like them. Micro adjustment is nice and convenient.

One Redding set might be the one with the competition seating die. That adds quite a bit to the price depending upon caliber. For the 6.5-06 it was about $170 just for the die itself. The .280 IMP is about $120 or so. Not to derail your thread, but it seems that Redding is discontinuing offering anything in 6.5-06 or the IMP version. Most of my rifle dies are from Redding and a couple from RCBS. Or it could be a set with a micrometer seating plug in it.

Last edited:
I ended up purchasing a set of RBCS dies online and then someone offered me a used set of Redding Dies with the micro setter sie so I thought I would try both and sell the set I disliked the most. I did get a chuckle about someone else having issues with the Hornady dies as well. I have slowly switched my dies to the RBCS as well. Have you had any luck with the Lee Dies?
Two things. First, if getting used dies make sure you know if they are "pre-" or "post-" SAMMI 280AI spec's as there was a change when SAMMI approved the wildcat, but there are still pre-SAMMI dies out there.

Second, I have used Lee dies for a number of cartridges, and for hunting purposes they have mostly done the job, but I have had several sets that had too large an expander and the bullets were seated loosely as a result. Very disappointing. I have now moved mostly to Redding and have had good luck. If you are shooting rounds that need crimping (like 30-30) I think the Lee crimping die is one of the best.

Last edited:
Two things. First, if getting used dies make sure you know if they are "pre-" or "post-" SAMMI 280AI spec's as there was a change when SAMMI approved the wildcat, but there are still pre-SAMMI dies out there.

I was able to get SAMMI dies.

Second, I have used Lee dies for a number of cartridges, and for hunting purposes they have mostly done the job, but I have had several sets that had too large an expander and the bullets were seated loosely as a result. Very disappointing. I have now moved mostly to Redding and have had good luck. If you are shooting rounds that need crimping (like 30-30) I think the Lee crimping die is one of the best.

Buy the set you feel comfortable paying for. They will all do what you need to do!

I like Hornady dies because you get free bullets with them. The ones that I've gotten are significantly more polished than the Lee dies I also own, but there's no difference in performance between the two.

I like Hornady dies because you get free bullets with them. The ones that I've gotten are significantly more polished than the Lee dies I also own, but there's no difference in performance between the two.

Maybe those free bullets you are getting from Hornady are the ones they often seem to leave out of the 50 & 100 qty boxes I buy. They are the only outfit I've had that problem with. With Speer its usually a couple of extra rounds.. Go figure.

Maybe those free bullets you are getting from Hornady are the ones they often seem to leave out of the 50 & 100 qty boxes I buy. They are the only outfit I've had that problem with. With Speer its usually a couple of extra rounds.. Go figure.

I typically get one extra. You must be unlucky my friend!

I don't like the Hornady custom dies. I bought a set for my 300 win mag and the collar falls down for the bullet seating. It gets in the way. Plus you have to have it set up so it doesn't just smash the neck down on the case. It's just a pain in the a$$. I bought the rcbs so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back