Which Caliber?

Only disagree that a 7-08 will need a new barrel at that point.

So many variables and opinions on this topic I have no idea, but here is a one expert's (Dan Lilja) thoughts that I have found helpful:

"Barrel Life Guidelines by Caliber and Cartridge Type
As a very rough rule of thumb I would say that with cartridges of .222 Remington size you could expect an accurate barrel life of 3000-4000 rounds. And varmint-type accuracy should be quite a bit longer than this.

For medium-size cartridges, such as the .308 Winchester, 7×57 and even the 25-06, 2000-3000 rounds of accurate life is reasonable.

Hot .224 caliber-type cartridges will not do as well, and 1000-2500 rounds is to be expected.

Bigger magnum hunting-type rounds will shoot from 1500-3000 accurate rounds. But the bigger 30-378 Weatherby types won’t do as well, being closer to the 1500-round figure.

These numbers are based on the use of stainless steel barrels. For chrome-moly barrels I would reduce these by roughly 20%.

The .17 and .50 calibers are rules unto themselves and I’m pressed to predict a figure.

The best life can be expected from the 22 long rifle (.22 LR) barrels with 5000-10,000 accurate rounds to be expected. We have in our shop one our drop-in Anschutz barrels that has 200,000 rounds through it and the shooter, a competitive small-bore shooter reported that it had just quit shooting.

Remember that predicting barrel life is a complicated, highly variable subject. You are the best judge of this with your particular barrel. Signs of accurate barrel life on the wane are increased copper fouling, lengthened throat depth, and decreased accuracy."

This is by far the best advice so far!!

My only critique is to get with schmaltz and order a vx3 for the main rifle and a vx freedom for the 223 (should be reasonably close to the budget) because I’m lazy and don’t like the inconvenience of swapping around scopes once zeroed!
Have you been peeking in my gun safe? I have VX 3s on 3 of my main rifles, my .300 Wby, .308 Win, and 7 mm RM, and a VX Freedom on my .223 Vanguard.(y)

I love my .308 especially if you reload. I shoot 125grain bullets for deer. I am shooting 165 grain bullets for elk and bear. I have my gun set up to shoot 1000yards. My nephew shot his elk 275 yards didnt know what hit her. My brother killed a big mule deer 530yards same thing drt. Its a great round and has a good selection of bullet sizes if you reload.

I love my .308 especially if you reload. I shoot 125grain bullets for deer. I am shooting 165 grain bullets for elk and bear. I have my gun set up to shoot 1000yards. My nephew shot his elk 275 yards didnt know what hit her. My brother killed a big mule deer 530yards same thing drt. Its a great round and has a good selection of bullet sizes if you reload.
A couple of weeks ago we put 500 and 550 yard berms on our range. I bought my .308 Win Vanguard primarily for shooting steel, so I am anxious to try it on the gongs at these ranges.

A couple of weeks ago we put 500 and 550 yard berms on our range. I bought my .308 Win Vanguard primarily for shooting steel, so I am anxious to try it on the gongs at these ranges.
My .308 is a howa axiom. Let tell you what those 125 grains smack the steel. 3125fps from my reloads cant complain.

If you reload the 308 win has a clear advantage ove the 6.5 CM. You can buy brass by the pound instead of buying factory new brass. 30 cal variations of bullets are also very broad. If you don’t reload the 7mm-08 has an edge over its parent case the 308. Its marginal but it’s there. The 6.5 CM is growing in popularity and it also retains the same edge over the 308 win. I own all 3 calibers and if I had to pick just one caliber it would be the 308 just for affordability. You could buy all kinds of rounds for it in any variation. It may seem weird how I do things but I like my 308 shooting 150 grain SST’s for everything except elk. Then for elk I will use my 6.5 Creedmore that shoots 140 grain accubonds.

If I shot accubonds well out of my 308 that is what I would use for everything. The premium bullet that my Creedmore likes is what convinces me to swap minimal short action rifles for elk. I bet an SST would still kill an elk but accubonds do give me enough assurance to make that adjustment.

Back