Which arrow setup would you go with?

EODRay

So I have been doing my research on things like FOC and kinetic energy. I have narrowed my selection down to two different setups.

1. 419 grain (total) arrow (100gr broad head)
Arrow speed = 312 fps, kinetic energy = 90.59 and FOC = 10.78%

2. 444 grain (total) arrow (125gr broad head)
Arrow speed = 307 fps, kinetic energy = 92.94 and FOC = 12.90%

Do you think the extra 5 fps on the first set up is worth giving up the extra KE and FOC?
I figured that the KE and FOC is more than adequate on first set up. Then again, plenty plus more = enough too.

Where do you experienced guys put more focus? Because I feel like the speed is adequate on both as well.
I know that it will probably come down to which arrows shoot and group the best. I have ordered some 125gr field tips and if they ever come in, I will be able to answer that question. All thing being equal (shooting wise), which setup would you prefer?

Or should I just ditch the whole set-up and buy a crossbow to shoot from the back of my ATV in a non-ATV area? :eek:

This has been hashed out before but my choice would be for the option #2 (providing your bow shoots it just as well). If you are shooting smaller critters ie whitetail etc, the lighter option wil be fine. IMHO, if you are hunting elk, etc go for the weight and momentum setup.

Either work plenty fine on any animal out there. Shoot the arrow that shoots best. Unless your trying to measure how far your arrows going to stick in the ground after it passes through.

No expert but after many years, some with flat shooting light arrowsi have gone back to heavier arrows. Setup 2 is better for me.

There are some heavy (grains per inch) weight forward arrows as well that help with FOC and thus do not require a larg(er) broadhead to get you the total mass and higher FOC you may seek. Piledriver is one.

That said, that ATV setup sounds sweet!

I would say use whatever shoots better if your happy with both .........your talking 5ft pounds of ke.....:cool:

Last edited:
If you can get the heavier set-up to group, I'd go with that.

Another option is to get a 90 pound bow like Cameron Hanes... :)

Agree with Redwood, I'd go with the higher FOC. That setup is pretty similar to what I shoot.

5 extra fps won't even be noticeable. A more accurate arrow will.

Those are so close (and very fast btw) I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on game. Unless your arrow spine/setup likes one over the other it's a draw imo.

I shoot 427 @ 308 and will say you won't have many stay in an elk with your setup because I don't. Good luck and happy shooting.

Thanks for the input guys. That's where I figured the consensus would land. I know they group good on setup 1. because I have the 100gr field points and Broad heads for that here. When the 125gr field points come in I will try it out with those. Will have to wait and see on the heavier broad heads when I get back home.

If you can get the heavier set-up to group, I'd go with that.

Another option is to get a 90 pound bow like Cameron Hanes... :)

That guy is dreamy! I want to be like him when I grow up.
It's a good thing I have plenty of Super Awesome Carbon Express Maxima Red 350 arrows that will handle up to 90#'s…….so it's doable. :roll eyes:

Also, if I'm shooting from the back of a moving ATV, the heavier arrow will be less effected by the wind. :hump:

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back