Caribou Gear Tarp

When to stop cow calling?

wolfpup

Here's the backstory: 1st year archery elk hunt but been rifle elk for many years. Anyway, I called a bull in to 40 yards but held up on behind trees. I needed 5 yards more for my clean shot. I let out one more cow call and the bull turned around and walked away. So it will drive me crazy not getting a better understanding; this bull came in fast and hot and either smelled me or did not like the last cow call. So, at what point do you guys stop cow calling and let the bulls curiosity bring them in?

He didn't smell you if he had smelled you you'd know it he would have plowed over every tree on his way out of there. He likely could see that there was no elk standing where the call came from and that was enough to make him suspicious.

elkmagnet - I had several bulls within 100-200 yards and they were fired up then all the sudden stopped bugling and never heard anything again. I am wondering if my cow calling needs some work. I would not rule out scent because they were swirling for sure. I am beyond addicted and can't believe I have to wait another year to chase some more!

I always tried to stop calling as soon as I knew they were coming. When they get close, if you're calling they can see there's no cow there. Their curiosity has to bring them in. That's why I think it's easier to get them close in thicker stuff, because they can't see everything. I would usually try to call from just around a corner or over a rise, and then shut up. That's easier said than done, I know. A decoy can be a great addition if you aren't packing it for miles.

These are my guesses.

Kinda like calling ducks, if they are coming already you probably don't need to keep calling. I think at some point the bigger smarter bulls want a visual before they come into bow range, unless it's that one day per year where they will come running in. I'm picking up a decoy for next season.

I think the wind might have gotten you though.

You definitely didn't get winded, that one becomes very obvious.

I was told a while back that elk expect to see elk when they hear elk talk. I prefer to hunt quiet as long as possible.

Thanks for the replies! It will haunt me until I get another chance next season.

Big Foot - I was using a diaphragm call I believe to be named yellow momma? However, I had the same issue with the Hoochie Momma Call as well as a reed call on 2 different bulls.

I already added a Montana Decoy to my wishlist.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back