PEAX Equipment

What would you buy...

I get into the same predicament with my job - save up travel points (hotel, airline miles) then cache them in once a year. It makes sitting on a plane more bearable if I know that an end result is something cool I'd like (versus caching them in for yet another damn plane ride).

My theory has always been get something I have always wanted - but could never justify spending that kind of dough on the item.

I've been super happy with all of my selections so far (Swaro's, Leica 1600 Range finder and a Bear Motive 6 bow). The rangefinder was my biggest leap, because I'd never used one before. It is nice - and something I never would spend my money on. The bow was a huge upgrade - I could have justified that one (but if it ain't broke....).

Good luck deciding. It's a nice problem to have.

IF you don't necessarily 'need' anything new or upgraded (hard to imagine), then I agree with HSi-ESi; get something you have always wanted but too cheap to spend 'your' money on.
Wish I had this problem...

Duck decoys, goose decoys, layout blinds, one of those super nice dog beds and a few other nick-nacks.

Or spotter, tripod, and new GPS.

What kind of waterfowl clothing do you have. I'd by top notch coat/waders/gloves. You didn't say where you are located at, but up here it gets COLD during waterfowl season. having $1500 of cloting sure would take the edge off!

I second Redwood and 1 Pointer.. A good basecamp tent of some sort, I believe I'd go with a traditional canvas wall-tent. That's the next $1000 + purchase I need to make.

For yournwaterfowling adventures..... Sneak boat or kayak suitable for getting into those harder to get to, better to be in spots on the marsh (can you tell what I have been dreaming about recently???)

Make sure to put part of the $ for something for your wife. Makes mine much more tolerable when boxes from Cabelas show up and there is something for her as well.

Cant go wrong with top end optics - Binos or spotter. I'm saving my pennies for a spotter now since I've already upgraded Binos, rangefinder and scopes.

I'd sell it and turn it into cash, and put it in my hunting fund... $1500 would by me a lot of flight time in a super cub.

I quit spending a lot of money on gear/guns a while back. I'd rather spend my money on a hunt than wasting it on crap I don't really need.

I'd sell it and turn it into cash, and put it in my hunting fund... $1500 would by me a lot of flight time in a super cub.

I quit spending a lot of money on gear/guns a while back. I'd rather spend my money on a hunt than wasting it on crap I don't really need.

Nevermind, I second this...

Oh the things you can get!

Does Cableas stock Dillon Reloading gear? I'd get a progressive press, dies, plates, and everything else I need to get set up for progressive reloading. Take any excess and pick up a case or two of your favorite Duck Ammo, and any other bits and pieces you want for the fall quack attack.

If not reloading... Optics. Have fun and enjoy it, what ever you decide to use it for.

Agreed! Heck, I'm selling probably the "nicest" rifle I own to help defray the costs of plane tickets/tags for this fall.

That said, instead of turning them into cash, will they accept points for the hunts they broker? That might be a way to get the full value as IME selling gift cards one generally has to price them quite a bit below value.

Here are my thoughts.

Is your weapon(s) accurate for the conditions and range you plan to shoot? If no, fix that first. No reason to hunt if can not be ethical at the moment of truth.

Do you have suitable footwear and outerwear for the conditions you plan to hunt? If no, fix that next. You will hunt harder if your feet are not sore and you are not wet and cold.

Do you have suitable camp gear? If you stay in a hotel, no problem. If you camp at the trailhead, you need a camper or a tent. If you backpack in deep, you need lightweight camp gear. If you are not resting properly, you will not hunt as hard and bounce back as fast when are tired.

Optics. Start with spotting scope. Out west, you should be spending more time with the spotter than the binos and more time with the binos than rifle scope. Spend accordingly.

Getting in shape. If you get winded walking up a few flights of stairs then get a gym membership. The west is full of terrain that is unlike what most of us encounter in our day jobs.

GPS. The west can be a big place. Property lines are critical and assume you are responsible for knowing where you are rather than the landowner warning you with signs and gates.

Choose wisely and good luck on your pronghorn hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back