What Sitka Pants and Jacket?

teej89

Hey guys! I am looking at which Sitka pants and jacket combo to get for this fall. I got the timberlines recently and love them however I don't feel they're going to perform in the late season. I'll be in MT this year in November and looking at a good jacket and pants combo for that hunt. I was thinking the cloudburst and the jetstream jacket (b/c I like the fact it has a hood), thoughts?

Thanks!
T.J.

Timberline pants serve me well. Then again it was 55 on last day of rifle. I could have worn shorts.

I was hunting Montana in January in my Timberlines with no problem. Just get a merino base layer to wear under them. Makes it a truly versatile setup. I also have the jetstream and think it performs well. You would need some insulation for underneath it, I use the down jacket.

I wear Timberlines and a Jetstream when it is cold (~35 to <0). it is all about the base layers. I think you would be just fine with timberlines, and really anything warmer and you are going to sweat on your approach hiking. Take a look at some of the different zip off glassing pants that can go under your timberlines if you think you are going to be cold.

Well that's reassuring, I haven't used the timberlines yet but when wearing them I was skeptical how well they'd perform in the cold. Basically they're a pretty good all around pant then?

As far as a jacket you think the jet stream? With just some good base layers in lieu of the cloudburst.

I almost spontaneously bought the cloudbursts last night on camofire at 1am lol and kind of glad I didn't now.

I'm afraid I'm succumbing to the subliminals of the new Sitka subalpine optifade stuff.

Hey guys! I am looking at which Sitka pants and jacket combo to get for this fall. I got the timberlines recently and love them however I don't feel they're going to perform in the late season. I'll be in MT this year in November and looking at a good jacket and pants combo for that hunt. I was thinking the cloudburst and the jetstream jacket (b/c I like the fact it has a hood), thoughts?

Thanks!
T.J.

You will have a hard time finding a more versatile elk hunting pant than the Timberline. That is my standard uniform for late season elk hunts, along with the Jetstream Jacket. I would look no further than those. Layer up/down as conditions and activity require and you will be comfortable from 40F to -30F.

Good luck with your search.

^Randy would know better than most of us. The Timberline pants with option to layer underneath are an excellent choice, I really appreciated the waterproof seat and knees but I did end up taking the kneepads out. The Timberline jacket with windstopper is a new favorite of mine, on the coldest days I hunted this year (~10) I layered it over a light down coat while glassing and was plenty warm.

What type of hunting will you be doing in MT? If its Elk then I think you've got your answer. If you'll be hitting up whitetail the Fanatic Series is amazing.

Regarding the comments about the Subalpine pattern it's pretty sweet!!!

DSC_0766.jpg

It'll be for elk and mule deer, I didn't find a great picture of the subalpine. Should I wait till they release that camo and splurge on that over the opencountry?

teej89, did my photo come through in the previous post? I thought it showed it pretty well. I can probably snap a closeup if you like.

The guys at Sitka designed the Subalpine to be most effective 50 yards and in. I.E. bowhunting elk. Personally, I think it will be effective in many more situations than that. However, I would tend to believe based on the pattern and shades that the open country would be better suited for just that, open country. If you're going to be in the dark timber and thicker stuff the Subalpine might be a betterchoice.

teej89, did my photo come through in the previous post? I thought it showed it pretty well. I can probably snap a closeup if you like.

The guys at Sitka designed the Subalpine to be most effective 50 yards and in. I.E. bowhunting elk. Personally, I think it will be effective in many more situations than that. However, I would tend to believe based on the pattern and shades that the open country would be better suited for just that, open country. If you're going to be in the dark timber and thicker stuff the Subalpine might be a betterchoice.

ohhhh I thought you were showing the whitetail pattern, my mistake. Our hunts next year will be open country so maybe I'll start with the open country first and then for our elk hunt in 2018 I'll grab the subalpine. It seemed a little green but makes sense if you're in the timber.

Another vote for Timberline/Jetstream combo. Adjust base layers as needed. Very comfortable and durable setup

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back