What pistol caliber?

I've never owned a pistol and don't know a ton about what's available in terms of bullets, powders, etc. But I have to wonder about all the advice telling the OP to go with a .44 minimum on elk. I'm assuming that pistol hunting for elk would involve shots that were inside of 50 yards, or so. Do you really think that a high-quality bullet in a .357 would not punch through an elk at shorter ranges? I mean, wasn't that round developed to be able to shoot through cars? Forgive me if I'm being ignorant (because I think I largely am here), but I can't help but wonder if this is sort of equivalent to the posts that say you really need a .30-06, or larger for elk... Feel free to set me straight.

44 is more appropriate for the what may happen in an elk shot.

the 357 would go all the way through the elk without issue....the what may happen is heavy bone tho. I have no doubt it would punch the first shoulder the second may stop it.

I've never owned a pistol and don't know a ton about what's available in terms of bullets, powders, etc. But I have to wonder about all the advice telling the OP to go with a .44 minimum on elk. I'm assuming that pistol hunting for elk would involve shots that were inside of 50 yards, or so. Do you really think that a high-quality bullet in a .357 would not punch through an elk at shorter ranges? I mean, wasn't that round developed to be able to shoot through cars? Forgive me if I'm being ignorant (because I think I largely am here), but I can't help but wonder if this is sort of equivalent to the posts that say you really need a .30-06, or larger for elk... Feel free to set me straight.

357 barely makes 800 foot pounds energy...at the muzzle. That's lower than recommended for any caliber on elk. 44 magnum will make 1500 foot pounds, which rivals some hunting rifle calibers (e.g. 110 grain 30-30).

There is the Double Tap 10mm with 230 HC that is a good penetrator. The 140 Lehigh Penetrator is another. Think of a handgun as a "hand drill", it has to penetrate to vital organs. One of these loads above would "hurt" a bad guy too! Just saying the 10mm Glock is a good one.

I agree with above you are talking about two different types of guns to carry. Personally with the new personal defense rounds and ballistics if your looking at something that is going to be concealable or light weight to carry hiking you are going to want something smaller. A small revolver is a great choice but also remember it sounds like in your post you don't have a to of experience and light weight plus large loads are going to decrease your accuracy. Especially when coupled with adrenaline from a flight or fight response of a situation you actually need to use the weapon in. I semi handgun in 9mm with a performance ballistic round is going to be much more accurate meaning more holes in target. The only reason i would go huge is if your planning on being in grizz country and you want something that will really get it attention.

Whichever way you go practice and practice from where you are going to carry it from and how you are going to carry. Doesn't matter which gun carry if you can't deploy it and shot accurately when needed which takes a lot of range time.

Not a great time to be looking either the rush on guns back in the spring has made what is available to purchase right now pretty slim. May need to wait a bit.

I've hunted with a handgun and love it. My go-to for deer is the ol' reliable Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. I've also used heavy loads on a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 for deer.

If you want to take a pistol hiking then I assume the intent is for personal protection. If you want to hunt with a pistol that’s a whole different scenario. Understand something, if you have to use a pistol for personal protection, from a person or animal, it is going to be a terrifying experience. Your adrenaline is going to be through the roof and when you engage, unless you are really well trained, your going to aim and pull the trigger as fast as possible until whatever it is goes down. With that said, you need something with manageable recoil, stopping power, reliability and magazine capacity.

My vote is for the Glock 21 in .45ACP. Get the 220 grain +P hollow points. Glocks are ugly but they’re the AK-47 of pistols: they just work, they’re indestructible and they’re not expensive. The Glock 21 holds 14 rounds and .45 is cheaper and easier to find than 10mm. Plus, the recoil is more manageable. The pistol doesn’t weigh all that much either. If you have to use it in a self defense scenario you can unload 14 rounds in a few seconds and 220 grain hollow point at close range is strong. A .44mag is a good gun, no question, but you’ve got 6 shots, a heavy trigger pull and some bitching recoil to manage and get back on target. Just get the Glock .45 and be done with it.

Also, the Glock pistol may be the most idiot proof gun every made. If you carry it with a round in the chamber, which you should in bear country, there is not much to F up if you have to use it.

Last edited:
Ive taken a whitetail with a .357, and a black bear with a .44. From now on any hsndgun hunting i do will be with a .460. Especially if youre talking about elk, id go for sonething along the lines of the .460 s&wIMG_7430_copy_800x450_1.jpg

Reactions: FLS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back