PEAX Equipment

what is your favorite waterfowl to hunt?

sloth08

mine has to be the ruddy duck for the reason that they fly like 2 inches of the ground and are pushin when they come through the decoys............ they need to put a bell on those things.lol.:W::W:

Welcome sloth.

As for my favorite duck, I would have to go with canvasback. Only get one a day, so it is kind of a trophy duck for me.

My hunting partner shot a ruddy a couple years ago...he will never make that mistake again.:D

Big, Fat, Northern Flight Mallards are what make my finger twitch. Especially when it is late November and December, and they are looking for a place to sit down.

Almost not fair. Kind of like shooting water balloons falling from the sky. Probably the exact opposite of the Ruddy ducks you mentioned. Never shot one of those.

FH000005.JPG

A good day to skip school. :p
FH000008.JPG

Here is a nice bag from a couple years ago.

Attachments

• Oct 11 (111)crop (Large).jpg
    Oct 11 (111)crop (Large).jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 264
Nice pictures guys.Reminds me I should go get some out of the freezer to grill this week.

The big honkers are a blast..but I love a mixed bag.

Attachments

• DSCN1931-crop.jpg
    DSCN1931-crop.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN1928.jpg
    DSCN1928.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 241
  • SK Goose Hunt2-crop.jpg
    SK Goose Hunt2-crop.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 236
Swans are kind of fun as well. I got one with my two day duck limit. Happy puppy.

Attachments

• swanday2Large_original.jpg
    swanday2Large_original.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 231
MTMILLER, it is indeed hard to beat the whistling wings of 7 or 8 Cans working your spread! They are a pleasure to hear, watch, work and shoot!
FWS PPR report is very good! Cans and Sprigs are up! We may get to shoot both of my favorite ducks this season!! It was really tuff in SE LA at the end of last season----we were covered up with Sprigs (at least we could take ONE) and the damn Cans would not stay out of our blocks!
Mixed bags are good too! We have killed 11 different species more than once on trips to SE LA!
And I would never bitch about mallert whacking in the gud ol daze in AR!!
In other words , I just like to shoot ducks!! Oh, and working Geese of any species!

I'm gonna have to say teal, the little beggers come in like fighters, yet still decoy around well enough that since you missed them the first time, you get a second chance. One other benefit is that when you get to hunt a bunch, you don't have so dang much to eat (not like that's a problem lately) as you do on the Mallards, and not be over on your bag limits.

Attachments

• Astrid 09 021.jpg
    Astrid 09 021.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Heck...how can a guy pic a fav???? Worst day huntin waterfowl, watchin the sun come up over the dekes in the marsh, teal buzz'n the dekes, mallards fallin from the sky like snow flakes...beats the hell outta most other things in life.
Oh...with the 1 exception of fallin in the cold Nov water chasin crips!...LOL!

Nice pic's guys...all of them...some good mixes too. Heck, I like shootin any wildfowl...doesn't matter to me...but those speck's in your pick really caught my eye drake4

shoot all those here in NE too...specks are hard to come by...usually mid Oct arrive for a week or two...but the snows/blues...lol...call those sky carp around here...shoot the heck out of them in the special spring season...have days where we shoot 125-150-175 of them. It's a blast!

I love those Teal... enough to put two on the wall. When I was growing up, my buddies and I didn't let each other shoot at them because we'd waste all our shells. Now, I can afford to waste a few. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC04115.JPG
    DSC04115.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
LMAO Tom in Tenn!...I hear ya there...I've got one too...and I try to keep him wet not me...not as young and full of venom as I once was.
I go down to MO to duckhunt some...we do some flooded timber huntin down there (mallard mecca!!!). Great set up...wading flooded timber...(with current and there's where the trouble starts). Years back on a cold, blowin, late Nov day...we were havin a mallard shoot. The snow was fallin like dish rags, the flight was on, the redleg mallards were pourin into the dekes to get out of the weather. We knocked several down and I waded back into timber to p/u ducks. I was coming back to the hole and got the foot of my chest waders under a submerged log. I fell forward...my wader feet floated out from under me in the current...and I went under (all the way). My hat floated off, but I managed to keep my right arm above water...cuz it contained my brand new Benelli SB Eagle...lol! After I got ahold of a tree and back on my feet...I was proud that I hadn't dunked the gun. I took a ribbin from my buddies...and the huntin was so good...I stayed out there huntin until we limited. I was frozen like a suit of armour from chest up...but very little water in the waders so stayed warm enough to call and shoot.
In hindsite with many years on the gun now...I wish I'd have stuck the butt in the mud to stop my fall...hell...it shoots in any conditions, I've dropped it in, pulled it up, dumped it out, checked the barrel and kept on hunting...lol.

hey outdooraddict...nice greenwing mounts...I like the driftwood/cat tails...looks really great. You shoot those out in w CO?...do you shoot many cinnimon teal and sprig out that way?

Thanks duckhead,

Yup, shot those two near Grand Junction. I have never seen a cinny around here, but I have shot a few by Greeley, CO. Pintails, they are hard to come by... but every now and then someone has a real pretty one.

Back