What insoles and why?

Southwind

I have bought various insoles and haven't really found anything I am wild about so thought I would poll to what people liked and why?

Be specific as you can please.

Totally depends on your foot and what you need. Too many people look for cushy comfort, and for mountain hunting thats not really ideal. Support is more important than cushion IMO. If you have a high arch look for an insole with the same, probably in the 6-9 degree range. If you have a flat foot, don't get an insole with a high arch, I hear too many people say they were told if they have flat feet they need a high arch support: Not true! If you try on an insole, its ok to feel the arch support, but if it feels like your standing on a golf ball that's a bad thing. You'll end up with terrible crippling foot fatigue after a day on your feet. At the same rate if you have a high arch but use a flat insole it with cause you some major issues, including a collapsed arch eventually(which most do flatten out over many years with many miles and heavy packs anyways, causing elongation).

Also most people don't know that the length of their arch makes a big difference as well. You can be a size 10 foot, but have a size 14 length arch. This means your arch is very long compared to your foot length, and you need to buy a supportive insole made for size 14, and trim the length down. Any good footwear store should be able to measure that for you on a Brannock device, however professional footwear help is harder and harder to find. Most employees in big box stores don't have the first clue, including footwear managers.

Some high quality supportive insoles to consider:
Superfeet-they make them for different uses and all different arch sizes.
Sole Custom Footbeds - These are heat moldable and also come in different styles and thickness allowing you to take up more or less room in a boot depending on your foot volume.
Kenetrek Supportive insole - Middle of the road, nice solid arch support with memory foam layer overtop and gel pad under the ball of the foot.
Lathrop Synergy - Never tried them but many people like them, I thought they'd be to gel-ly and not offer great support.

Good guidance by CabinFever. I've tried Super Feet and Sole and like them both. Every time I buy a pair of boots or shoes I take them to the local running store and try on insoles until I get what feels right. Most of the high end insoles come with a 30 or 45 day trial period, but I've never had to return any.

Thank you gents, I was looking at the super feet in bronze a try but think I may give the soles a run. I do have a high arch so the support is a very important factor for me. Looks like a decent price at REI.

If you get the Soles, try them without molding first, they may work without doing that if you have high arches.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but maybe others will benefit as well, great info so far! - So, do you guys take out the insoles that come with your boots? I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I'm trying to get broke in for the last month. They are getting better. I do notice some heel pain when I have 45# pack on my back. Would insoles help with this? I leave for my elk hunt in 21 days... maybe that's too soon to be changing things. Also considered just the heel only inserts sold at the drug store...any advise?

I have used the sorbothane insoles off and on for 15 years but I've found different insoles make some boots just feel/fit better and as they wear I may have to switch insoles. On my favorite pair of boots, the memory foam style insole that came with them was good for about 9 months I started getting some soreness on the ball of my foot. I changed to the green superfeet and they were good for about a year then then started getting some soreness again on the ball of my foot. I've had the sorbothane on there for a year with no soreness. The 7" hikers I have on now were in my throw away pile and I rarely wore them but I put the memory foam insoles in there from the other boots and they've been my go to boots for the last 2 months.

and do you remove the factory insoles or go over top of them... seems like a waste to throw out what the manufacturer seemed to think was a good product,..

The different colors have to do with the shape of the insole, not the quality or anything like that. You'll have to try them before you buy. Call around.

Yeah, they replace your other insole. Those are generic, fine for many. However, if you have a little different foot, you may really benefit from "custom" insoles.

Yes definitely remove the other insole, boots aren't made to be worn with two. As CC said Superfeet's coloring system refers to shape. In hunting boots for just a good standard medium arch support, the Green ones treat most people well.

Though I'm sorta happy with the SOLE's in my Kenetreks, I don't like them as much as I did the Lathrop and Sons I had previously.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back