Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What Grain?

RugerHawg413

I bought a .308 and I will be shooting federal fusions, I will be hunting mostly whitetail, but on occasion elk or mule deer. They make 150, 165, and 180 grains, just wondering based on your experience what I should I use? Thank you for all the info and knowledge!

I think you'll be happy with them. I have used them in 7-08, 308, 243, 7mm Rem Mag and 223. In many cases, they were the best factory group I got. They shot so well in my 7-08 that I stopped reloading for it! And, I think they are the lowest priced bonded-core factory round out there. Good combination of accuracy, performance & value!

My .308 likes the 165s as well. I have never hunted with them, but wouldn't hesitate to do so. The Fusion bullets are available as a handloading component these days; at some point I plan to try loading them. Too many projects.

I'd go with a 150 or 165 all copper. That said, I just re-watched an episode of Fresh Tracks (Randy's 19 pt. CO elk hunt) and the 165 grain Nosler Partition from 350? yards was lights out on that monster bull. Why the dedication to fusions?

Back